Advanced Duet Moves List!

This topic contains 18 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Janet Hanseth Janet Hanseth 6 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Janet Hanseth
    Janet Hanseth
    Keymaster

Originally posted by Mary on tribe.net.Although my troupe mates and I are excited about the freedom available in New ATS, right now were still trying to conquer the stuff thats already out there! Our current goal is to be doing Current ATS (which I have - for the purposes of this post only - dubbed CATS...ha!) But I basically just mean moves/variations that might not (yet?) be on a video or taught at GS, but that FC and Devyani are BOTH doing with their current vocabularies.br/br/So, that wordy paragraph aside, my group is trying to spice up our partner work, but when we see variations (mainly while trolling YouTube...oh the shame!!!) we dont know which moves are in the common FC/Dev vocabulary across the board, and which are choreographed/experimental/just used in FatChance OR Devyani.br/br/Here are the duet moves (variations) that Im nearly positive are universally accepted (all are cued while facing your partner...unless otherwise stated):br/br/1. Double back - one time through the cycle (8 beats), pass each other on beats 1/2 of the second set. According to a thread on the ATS tribe the partners can pass front to front or back to back, depending on the intention of the lead.br/br/2. Resham-ka - Again according to a previous thread, if the move is cued twice in a row, the accepted variation is to skip the Egyptian basics at the end of the second time, and go straight into an 8 count of calibrated spins (facing your partner)br/br/3. Calibrated spins from single bumps - Once around with single bumps with arm 1, once more around with arm 2 (hold, if necessary to find the 1 in the beat), 8 counts of calibrated spins. Are the spins usually done with arms just staying in position 2, or is it a common thing to put both your arms to shoulder height? (I hope Im getting the arm position numbers right here....)br/br/4. Turkish shimmy combo thing - I dont know if this has a better name; my teacher learned it in a Megha workshop last year!br/1st 8 beats: 4 counts facing your partner, 2 counts switch back to back with arms up, 2 counts facing with regular arms. br/2nd 8 beats: 2 counts regular, 2 counts with arms sweeping above your head, 4 counts to switch places again - spinning past your partners right side with the right arm swoop from the TSWAT combobr/br/br/br/Whoops! Late for work! If you have any additions or corrections please post! It would be great to have a comprehensive list to reference for our practices!br/br/YIP!br/Mary

Anonymous

Originally posted by Carrie on tribe.net.I can really only speak for myself. A lot of these partner options that our troupe explores are ones that have been suggested during various troupes to SF, conversations with peer troupe directors, and just plain old trial and error.br/I know much of what you listed and others are really troupe specific. Or even duet specific with in a troupe.br/br/We do some cue-able variation of the following in duetbr/br/by the way, I think you meant Calibrated Spins from Pivot Bump, not single bump.br/br/Fast:br/Resham-ka- (I know this is different from the FC version) Pass with Resham-ka on 1-7 face on 8, pass with Egyptian Basic on 1-7, face on 8, go into 8ct. of spins.br/br/Turkish Shimmy Passing and Arabic Hip Twist Passing- this really only requires that instead of locking eyes with your partner and traveling which would suggest turning the wheel, that you break eye contact and head to the left passing back to back.br/For Turkish Shimmy we usually pass and face on 1-4 hold for 4 and pass again. For us, this can lead into Turkish Shimmy with Arms and Turn.br/br/Chico Four Corners passingbr/br/Shoulder Shimmy to trade places into Hip Drops.br/br/We just generally do tons of facing each other and trading places instead of turning the wheel.br/br/Slow:br/Wrap Around Turn passingbr/br/Sahra Turn passingbr/br/Barrel Turn passingbr/br/br/br/br/

Anonymous

Originally posted by Field on tribe.net.Ive tried the Barrel Turn, Reverse Turn and Sahra Turn in partners before and every time I end up squeeling and cringing because Im turning blindly backwards and Im paranoid of slamming into my partner! My little freak out always seems to be hugely entertaining for my troupmates! I am so far from nailing those ones with confidence...

Anonymous

Originally posted by Mary on tribe.net.Whoops! Youre right! I totally meant pivot bumps and not single bumps!!br/br/Ive definitely seen the shoulder shimmy trade and (duh!) cant believe I forgot the passing Chico! Does anyone know of any videos showing the wrap around or sahra turns while passing? Im trying to visualize when to pass and its making my eyes cross! Its probably one of those "Just do it!!" things; Ill monkey around with it at troupe practice!br/br/Thanks for your post, Carrie!!

Anonymous

Originally posted by Mary on tribe.net.Bwa ha ha ha ha!!! I know exactly what you mean, Field!! We spent the longest time one night trying to get the barrel turn to pass without feeling like we were about to fall over or knock heads! Im glad were not the only ones!!! Woot! 🙂

Anonymous

Originally posted by Durrah on tribe.net.Sahra pass here at 3:25 a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IezoTI31Dls title=www.youtube.com/watchwww.youtube.com/watch/a

Anonymous

Originally posted by Mary on tribe.net.Ooooo! Thanks Durrah!

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.One thing that really helped me stabilize in the passing Barrel was knowing that I didnt have to have quite as much of an arch in the back while youre passing. Does that make sense?

Anonymous

Originally posted by Carrie on tribe.net.The Barrel turn is probably one of the easiest only because youre not spinning or at least the way the I do it. ;- / br/Maybe Im not doing it right. ??br/br/Barrel- Two dancers face each other in duet, do one Barrel Turn in place. Start the barrel turn towards each other traveling to the right as right arm sweeps out and down. when you face back during the big arch (in normal barrel turn), you should be back to back. then the upper body and left arms pull to the left, you can see each other, and your finish facing again.br/br/Wrap around- Face, go into wrap around, when you are faced back glance over your left shoulder, you should be able to see the other dancer in your peripheral, as arms go up together you spin 1 1/2 times to the left (each dancers left) as you trade places. br/br/Sahra is more complicated and not something I feel comfortable writing out. The video should help.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Carrie on tribe.net.Wendy, can you try and interpret my confusing descriptions and let me know if Im on or off target? Thank you!!

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.Looks good to me, Carrie! The back to back with the big arch is where I was saying it actually made it easier for me when I found out the arch doesnt have to be so big.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Charlottio on tribe.net.Also Camel Step to trade places..br/With the first part, step back to back as L arm comes up, hold in place for second part as L leg goes out and arms switch and third part is a little tricky (for me at least), step the L foot back so you are facing eachother again as you do the Torso Rotation.br/Make sense?br/xx

Anonymous

Originally posted by Carrie on tribe.net.oh right Camel Step passing. Thats a goodie.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Mary on tribe.net.I love the Camel pass! So pretty!

Anonymous

Originally posted by katie on tribe.net.Hi Carrie, you wrote:br/br/br/Turkish Shimmy Passing and Arabic Hip Twist Passing- this really only requires that instead of locking eyes with your partner and traveling which would suggest turning the wheel, that you break eye contact and head to the left passing back to back.br/For Turkish Shimmy we usually pass and face on 1-4 hold for 4 and pass again. For us, this can lead into Turkish Shimmy with Arms and Turn.br/br/br/Were trying to decipher this but alas cannot figure it out. Do you know of any videos where this can be seen, or can you explain in more detail? The "heading to the left and passing back to back" is especially murky to me. If I head to the left (of my duet partner) and pass back to back, I am traveling my Turksih Shimmy to the right, which feels WRONG or impossible! DId I miss something?br/br/Thanks,br/Katie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘ATS® GS/TT’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.