Arabic Basic cue count

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Is there a specific count to the arm cue for Arabic Basic? I've always cued it in 4 counts (arms plunge down and up in 4), but could you take 6 or 8 counts to complete it (say, if the music dictated it, or you wanted to give your followers more time to catch it)?

Anonymous

I don't think there is a specific count, but, as you said, let the music dictate it. The arm plunge is a good enough cue that your dance partners will be able to catch it. 🙂

Anonymous

I think I must often take more than 4 counts, because I find it really tricky to take only 4 when I am trying to cue the Arabic double turn!

Anonymous

For me as mentioned, it depends on the music.  If I'm trying to start turning it on the next 1, I might go a little quicker.  Or if it's a faster tempo piece of music the plunge might be quick likewise if it's something slower and more melodic, I might take my time. 

Anonymous

I've always done a cue plunge on the 1 and taken between 1 to 3 counts to raise the arms, depending on the music. 

Anonymous

I agree about the music guiding the arms, but I often seem to lift my arms in 6 to 8 counts.  I like the way the arms float up so I seem to take my time with it usually. 

Anonymous

I agree with Raven. Music guides, but in general I think 6-8 counts usually feels right for me. I think I remember seeing Wendy doing it in 6 counts in one of the FCBD drill vids.

Anonymous

Great question. I´ve been wondering about that myself and definitely agree with all above. Music will guide you but then it´s nice to take longer than 4 counts. Not only makes is confusing with the Arabic Double Turn but also it seem rather rushed. Also music we dance to often works in 8 by which I mean that important changes happen after 8 counts (or 16 or 32 of course :)). And then if you take 4 counts for Arabic and then go into let´s say Sunanda, your musical change will happen inside step rather than on the 1. Some people are good at predicting the music (or rembemering transitions) and some don´t. And I have a few in my tribe that are the latter so I kinda forced them to take 8 counts for the cue which slows things down, makes everything flow together well and as a by-product makes it fit with the music on its own.  😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Technique’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.