Arabic Hip Twist with 1/2 Turn Clarification needed

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I am teaching the Arabic Hip Twist with ½ turn and would appreciate clarification on count 3 when turning toward the side planes. It appears on the video that the initial twist of the hip on count 3 in the Arabic Hip Twist has been eliminated and replaced by the pivot to the side plane on count 3 when incorporating the Half Turn. Is this correct, or does a quick hip twist still occur on count 3 prior to the pivot to the side plane during the half turn? Thank you!

Anonymous

To add to the above question, I also see on the video Carolena executing an Arabic Hip Twist with counter clockwise quarter turns. Is this a part of the vocabulary also? In this case, I see the twist of the hip remaining in the turn. If this is part of the vocabulary, how do we discern if the turn will be a 1/4 turn or a 1/2 turn? Thank you!

Anonymous

Hi Janine, I don't have a video handy to view what you're seeing, but I think the 1/4 turn you're seeing is the cue for the 1/2 turn.  When you initiate the half turn from the front, you need to make a 1/4 turn first to face the left wall, then 1/2 turns from then on, side to side.  We don't have a 1/4 turn sequence of the AHT.The 3rd count twist with the hip is still part of the movement, but becomes part of the turn.  It's still there, but now has a longer distance to travel, so visibly, it becomes a stretched out version.  The hips still follow the chest.

Anonymous

Ah….I get it. It was the Old Vol. 4 where there were multiple turns that appeared to be quarter turns, but not on the New Vol. 4, so I will nix the quarter turns and stick with ½ turns. That makes it easier. And thank you for clarifying that the twist remains in the move on count 3. I will be flying in to the FCBD Kansas City workshop in July and am looking forward to it and hopefully meeting you in person there. Thanks for your help!

Anonymous

Wonderful!  See you then!  🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.