arc arms followed by Chico

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Last weekend one of the newest dancers followed arc arms with Chico.  She got mad props for working on combos, but most of us missed the Chico and thought it was a counter clockwise pivot bump.  (If you have even tried to recover a Chico mid move, you know that it is a crazy, mixed-up mess.)  We laughed at the break between sets, talked about giving a clearer cue or waiting a little longer, and messed it up again in the second set!  I have the luxury of reviewing the footage of it, and I can't quite figure out how we missed it.  How would you cue the Chico out of arc arms?  Or, maybe it's tricky because the arms don't change from the end of one move to the beginning of the next.

Anonymous

They are two related moves, but with very different characters.  The Choo Choo/Arc Arm comes from a Pivot Bump setup (right arm down through the center and out to arm position #1) and also points straight forward to the audience.  So your head, hip and hand point to the front.  The Chico has a sharp and fast cue into the right front corner.  Head, hip and hand point into the corner.  The energy of this one is 50% higher than the Arc Arm because you only get 2 bumps into each corner, whereas the Arc Arm Turn is a pivoting turn with several bumps to get around.So, the two main identifiers depend on angle of the head/hip/hand and speed.

Anonymous

Just following through with what Sandi said, Leslie: at the end of the Arc Arms, you'd still be on a sharp performance angle, with face and right hand to front. So the cue into Chico would involve several sharp but subtle gestures toward front right corner: the face turns, right wrist and arm “snap”, right hip bumps, right foot steps, and body angle opens, all toward front right corner. It would have to be done very crisply and decisively to be clear, since the general stance in Arms 1 doesn't change. Generally I wouldn't put those two moves together unless dancing with experienced dancers who know me.

Anonymous

Thanks.  Nancy, this is exactly what I thought too.  As a teacher, I try to regularly point out that moves with similar arms not be used consecutively.  Chico, like you said, needs to be VERY intentional. 

Anonymous

Keep in mind that you are still doing the opening cue for Pivot Bump (right arm down through the center and out) for the Chico, it's just a lot faster. 

Anonymous

Sandi, are you saying that, at the end of your Arc Arms (so you're in Arms 1), you'd need to bring the right arm back overhead, then swing into the Chico? That would be clearer for followers (but would take a fast hustle to execute). I was thinking of moving from Arms 1 straight into the Chico-wrist/arm-to corner.

Anonymous

Right, it would be a quick gesture, so the arm may not have the time to go all the way up, but at least center and out.  2:30 from Pivot Bump to Chico (really fast) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=230i8OHl4H0

Anonymous

Oh my goodness!! That was SMOKIN'!! 🙂

Anonymous

Thanks much for the reference vid, Sandi. Yes, I see what you mean now! That quick swoopy gesture you made makes the transition so much clearer — and is pretty, too. Thanks!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.