Arms during turns – practically any turn

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello all,I'm suddenly having a doubt in my mind.  Arms.  In practically all the turns we keep arms close to the body during the actual turn/pivoting part, yes?  Meaning, any arm follow-through is completed once we're done spinning and facing front again, yes?Why, in the name of Holiness, am I thinking someone said that for some turns, like the Reverse Turn, the arms meet at shoulder height when facing back and are ready to be split when we're back to front?  Did I dream that???Thank you,Zina

Anonymous

No, the left arm stays up, right stays down until you face front again, then they split. I suppose it's possible that the move evolved from what you described, but am not sure.

Anonymous

Thanks so much, Wendy.

Anonymous

Another Reverse Turn (RT) question.  Question set-up: the other day I was taking a workshop from another sister studio and we were learning the Strong Arm.  During drill, the instructor always did a floreo while arms were overhead, which we followed.  After drilling we were told to make sure the arms are very defined as to not confuse the move with the the Reverse Turn; a short Q/A followed.  I mentioned the floreo we did at the beginning did confused me it being the cue for the Reverse Turn.  We were then told an overhand floreo was NOT the cue for the RT.  Breaking it down and demonstrating, we were told the RT is now being taught with no cue (the arm and foot cue it) and using 3 sets of floreos.  I said nothing further.I came back home and re-watched the RT instruction on Vol. 7 and again heard Carolena quite plainly say a sharp overhead floreo is the cue for the RT followed by the ...rest.  I've been teaching my students the move with the overhead floreo and 5 floreos as on the video.  Has the move evolved so it is now being done as explained?  I've been told on these forums the videos are the difinitive source unless it comes from GS or the FCBD studio.Please don't think I'm criticizing a fellow sister studio, I'm just wanting to triple check as from which source I should be teaching.Thanks so much.Zina

Anonymous

From my experience at GS, Megha had us Floreo overhead as the “Hey Y'all, we're going to turn” for a few moves.  Meaning the floreo over the head is the “WATCH FOR TEH NEXT BIG THING, IT'S Coming!!!!

Anonymous

From my experience at GS, Megha had us Floreo overhead as the "Hey Y'all, we're going to turn" for a few moves.  Meaning the floreo over the head is the "WATCH FOR TEH NEXT BIG THING, IT'S Coming!!!!

That's my understanding too - it's not a cue so much as an indicator that something's about to happen.

Anonymous

Right.  Bringing arms overhead with a floreo can mean that something else is happening, not necessarily the cue for the Reverse Turn.  The Reverse Turn cue is the body opening up to the right (right foot stepping behind left) while the right hand slips down towards the right back pocket, along with the gaze (not the chin).I agree with Wendy.  The arms stay vertically rounded (hands close to center poles), during the turn, then follow through after the turn is complete.  Keep the floreos soft during the turn.  I find that the more dramatic floreo rotation makes the right hand look like it's slapping something downward.That being said, there's always room for natural movement to become part of each move.  Please don't be too rigid/robotic about placement.  Be accurate, but natural to your own body movement, is my thought.

Anonymous

Thank you.  I guess I shouldn't put so much emphasis on the videos??? 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘ATS®’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.