ATS for the visually impaired

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Originally posted by Sharon on tribe.net.Im feeling like a proud mother hen and wanted to share.br/br/Three students of mine, one who is pretty seriously visually impaired, formed a troupe. For the last couple of years, for obvious reasons, they have performed choreography using ATS moves. br/br/But a few months ago they decided to develop a vocabulary of ATS cues which their visually impaired member can follow. Last night I got to see their first ATS performance in public and I was delighted with their progress. Their cues are simple and elegant. In some cases they simply modify the standard ATS cue, make it bigger and more obvious (e.g. in the Egyptian half turn they twist their torsos and open their arms wide). In other cases where the cue is very subtle and harder to see (e.g. the Double Back half turn which is cued by turning the head to the side) they completely changed the arm position to something easier to see but still consistent with the whole ATS aesthetic. They asked my "permission" to use vocal cues as well. I told them that we do not use vocal cues, but their situation is unique and that they should try different things and see what works for them. I last nights performance I did not hear any vocal cues, they seem to have worked it all out in terms of movement.br/br/I want to publicly applaud the efforts of these young women. One of the things I have always loved about Tribal Style dance is that it is inclusive. Mariskha, Epica and Jazmin are working to make it even more so.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Hollie S on tribe.net.Thanks for sharing this inspiring news. I love to hear that ATS can even work for the visual impaired. Please post the next performance on youtube, I would love to see =)

Anonymous

Originally posted by Durrah on tribe.net.That is truly wonderful and inspiring! I hope theyll have a performance video up online soon.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Vicky on tribe.net.Thats so heartwarming! Id love to see a video of their next performance. I have a close cousin who is fully albino (there are varying degrees of albinism, and his is near the most drastic), so I definitely understand the struggles and emotions surrounding the most unexpected things for the visually impaired. Its so great that they have found a way to communicate with each other. I feel that a lot of this dance has to do with the troupes psychological connection to each other, if that makes sense. br/br/I think a subtle vocal cue or two might be fine, such as a specific yip or zaghareet. But as the saying goes, if it works, dont fix it! ^_~br/br/Give all those girls a big hug! They deserve it!

Anonymous

Originally posted by Zina on tribe.net.Truly awesome! In todays world its so easy to justify why we CANT do something. This troupe just proved: si se puede!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘ATS®’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.