ATS movements for children…

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello!  I have been asked to do a 45 minute session with a group of school kids, grades K-3.  I feel a lot of our ATS vocabulary would be pretty tricky for most of the kids, and it is a one time thing, so I am wondering if any of you have ever taught ATS to kids, and if so, what did you find worked best for you?  Fast, slow?  I was thinking arm undulations, floreos, pivot bumps, and possibly a circling up/taking lead exercise (more of a game?).  I'll also be explaining how it helps build confidence, body awareness, etc.  Any suggestions and input would be appreciated!  Thank you. 🙂

Anonymous

I've never taught kids formally, but at a street fair this fall I taught a 6-ish year old girl pivot bumps and the box step, and after we practiced them for a minute she said, 'That's it? That's EASY!' It was awesome. She also learned to play RLR RLR on my smaller zils, though not while dancing. I think it's easier to explain fast stuff to them, because it goes along with the beat.When they're not afraid of failing, kids pick stuff up really fast. And I think you're on the right track, trying to come up with a game-type exercise.Have fun!

Anonymous

I've done one-time workshops to a girl's empowerment group a few times. Kids pick it up quickly and are much more fearless about leading than adults! I stuck to fast level 1 moves and tried to give them images/stories to go with the moves- the footwork for Egyptian is like “squishing a bug”, for instance. I also brought bindis, temporary tattoos & loaner hipscarves. Good luck!

Anonymous

I love the ideas, thanks ladies!

Anonymous

I have taught a level 1 class to kids a year ago, and yes, they loved playing with leading and following. 🙂As for the movements, that really depends. Some pick up moves like Taxeem really quickly, others struggle as much as adults. Mine liked slow moves more than fast moves, because they found it harder to match their moves to the rhythm.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.