ATS(r) appropriate belly coverings?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I'm starting a student troupe (Womenfolk) and a class in Performance Skills & Practice. Some of the ladies don't want to bare their midriffs, so one topic we'll discuss is how to cover the belly in a way that is appropriate for ATS(r) and also allows movement to be seen.Three ways that seem good to me are: belly chain drapes, Banjara-type cholis with belly-covering fabric panels, and artfully wrapped veils. (One idea I don't like is body stockings.) Are there other suitable ways? Thanks so much for suggestions!

Anonymous

Assuit!!  😀

Anonymous

I think a belly panel (like on the Indian cholis) can be made out of fabric matching any choli type. I have had several troupemates in the past who just added a co-ordinating rectangle to the front of their choli and it looked just fine, with or without a coin bra.

Anonymous

Short gawahzee in light fabric?

Anonymous

Thanks, ladies, for your ideas! Some food for thought there.

Anonymous

I used to wear one of those mesh deals, which can work alright.  The belly isn't technically covered, I suppose, so it depends on the reason for wearing it. 🙂

Anonymous

Megan, I think you mean those stretchy body stocking type covers? Yeah, personally I don't think those are good for ATS(r), but thanks for your reply.

Anonymous

I recently danced with two girls from another SS who asked me if I minded if they wore black body stockings…I said it didn't matter to me if it made them feel more comfortable and confident.  Later, a photo was taken of our group and, honestly, I think it turned out great because the rest of our costuming elements were the same.

Anonymous

Man, this is a good topic.Over the years I've struggled with wanting a bellycover. But anything that totally covers the belly would hide the bellyrolls (my signature move.)After many false starts I landed on an assuit scarf draped over my neck and trailing down the sides. i tuck it over the part I don't want to see that day, and it makes me really happy.So, what I'm saying is that total coverage may not be necessary, but a fluttering, moving fabric that moves in a complimentary way with the body as it dances can be a good solution.

Anonymous

Jenny, thanks for the photo of your ladies. The gals with body stockings do look nice, I must agree. I think it's because their stockings are smooth, not fishnet. But I still favor a solution that uses more ethnic, homespun, handmade materials. Carolena, thanks for posting! I love your look with the assuit veil/scarf, modestly draped but still revealing crucial portions. It's such a creative approach to belly covering, and completely harmonious with the overall ATS look. I've swiped your idea a time or two myself! However, you've got a lovely, smooth, enviable midriff, to my eye, so it saddens me that you feel a need to cover it. Wish I had your belly any day!!

Anonymous

I like draping a bandani shawl or dupatta and tucking into the skirt.

Anonymous

Wow, that is gorgeous, Adhara! You and your ladies look so elegant, and so ATS®. And I love the idea of having ways to use our lovely veils other than as cover-ups.

Anonymous

Adhara, you all look gorgeous!

Anonymous

Wow, these are brilliant ideas!  😀We had cottoned onto the choli with a panel in the front, but I love these other ideas with the scarves/veils. They are beautiful 🙂

Anonymous

We did the half sari thing recently over the top of a single skirt wrapped flatly as possible, four of us of different builds and we all looked very elegant, we weren't doing belly rolls but everything else was just as plain to see, someone even mentioned that when we shimmied it was actually more visible as the extra drape moved with it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.