Barrel Turn and moving it in the circle

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Need some clarification on this…. We've been moving the Barrel Turn in a clockwise direction, because that seemed to make sense in my head, and it's working for us.  However, I started to think about it, and remembered how much trouble I had with my balance issues when we were doing it a year ago at the Intensive with Carolena, in Vancouver.  So much so, that I remember bringing it up as to why I felt so awkward and unable to get the same 'barrel roll' feeling that I get when doing it stationary. Soooo, started watching videos, and found one (duet formation) where they did one moving Barrel Turn and it does look as if they are going counter clockwise.  We tried it that way at last class, and it does feel way more awkward, and does give me way more balance issues, than turning the wheel clockwise.  Dilemma!!  Can we choose to do it clockwise, within our own little group, but also get them to practice it counter clockwise, so they are prepared if ever dancing with other dancers from other places?  Or do I just suck it up and find a way to do it without getting vertigo?  I've figured out how to do it without much vertigo when stationary, and also going clockwise... just not sure why it's so bad going the other way 🙁

Anonymous

At FCBD Studio, we move it in a counter-clockwise direction – that is, each dancer steps to her right.  I wonder where the balance issues are coming from?  I wonder if you can fiddle with the weight shift, or pull in further in your core?  I remember Carolena also saying something in GS about where you spot for the Barrel – reading a long phrase that is written along the ceiling, for example, as you come over the top.  I can't picture how you'd move Barrel clockwise.

Anonymous

I have something wrong in my inner ear, either the little crystals are displaced, or something…. must try to get it taken care of, but there are no guarantees… and someone said, theirs got worse after treatment 🙁  I can't do Calibrated Spins anymore 🙁  And so many other steps I have to be careful.  Just this past August, I redid GS and I couldn't even watch the class doing TSWAAT or ASWAAT, it was making me dizzy and sick. I had to go to the door, and turn my back so I didn't even see it out of my peripheral vision! I can manage TSWAAT/ASWAAT for a couple of cycles, only because they stop and face in for the 4 ct., but by the third cycle, I'm really feeling like I'm going to crash, and I did crash once during class when teaching it, because I'd demonstrated it too many times. Now I show it a couple of times, and get one of my advanced students to do the repetition, until I feel recovered.  Ya, totally sucks.Well, if you think about it when doing it stationary, you cross your right foot over your left.... so we do that, only step it out more instead of keeping the feet close together, that happens while we are facing each other.  Then we are 'rolling over the barrel' with our backs to each other, and as we drop our left arm/hand, stepping around with our left foot, we take another step outward. They are not huge steps. Then as we are doing the floreos with the right hand, we move a couple of steps along the wheel... then repeat, until someone takes the lead, or changes the step.I hope that makes sense.

Anonymous

I'm sorry to hear about your inner ear issues, Rhiannyn.  When we do the Barrel Turn in a circle, we step out with our right foot, instead of across the left foot, as well.  That is what takes us counter clockwise.  When we do it in a passing duet we tend to spot each other in the eyes.  It makes it a bit dramatic and very slow.  🙂

Anonymous

Thanks, Raven… it truly sucks. I hope it goes away, SOON!Yes, it's all coming back to me a blinding rush 😮 I believe we are going to practice it the way you all are doing it, and if i can't get overthe toppling feeling, then I just won't do it, I guess. One more *can't do* on my list ~frack~Thanks for working through this with me 🙂xo xo

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.