Bay Area Travel and Adventure Show – Mar 5 & 6

This topic contains 13 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

UPDATE 1/26/16: Hi all,Due to the lack of affirmative responses to this call for dancers, I've cancelled this gig and have politely and respectfully contacted the organizer with our regrets.  Nothing personal, but the last thing I wanted was to commit to a gig only to find out I didn't have enough for a strong show.  Thank you.Leigh Anne************Hello BDBD,The World Heritage and Cultural Center has once again asked us to perform at the Bay Area Travel and Adventure Show on the weekend of Mar 5 and 6. This is a great venue, nice big stage, pro sound, and we've got a primo slot at 1pm on Saturday or Sunday, your choice.  Easy to get to - a straight shot down 101!  It's the first weekend in March, so it's a great opp to run through a set for Rakassah or Cues!Location:Santa Clara Convention Center5001 Great America Pkwy, Santa Clara, CA 95054I'm looking for a group of dancers to do either 1 15-minute set, or two 15-minute sets with at least a half hour break in between, and to recorded music.  Please respond if you're able to join, and what day you'd prefer (I'll just pick the best day based on responses).  FYI, for those of you who may be adventurous, I'm talking to a live band to see about an additional slot to live music.  The band is Meridian, led by Mike Fair, and they're fun to dance to.  If that interests you, please indicate so in your reply!  Shimmies,Leigh Anne

Anonymous

Not sure – I may be out of town and can't commit to this date anymore 🙁

Anonymous

What is the pay?

Anonymous

Sat is good! Sun is maybe.

Anonymous

Good question, Larissa, and there is no pay. 

Anonymous

Unfortunately I am unable to make this one.  I hope it works out, it's a fun gig. 

Anonymous

Hey Leigh Anne! I am very interested! Problem is, it is hard for me to commit to dates really early in advance (I used up my vacation time for a while with Homecoming), so I don't know my availability until about 2 weeks beforehand. Shouldn't be a problem because we aren't too busy that time. I would prefer Sunday, and would LOVE to dance to live music if given the opportunity!

Anonymous

“After 12 years and 61 shows, the Travel & Adventure Show Series has established itself as the premier consumer marketing platform in the travel industry. Since 2004, the Travel & Adventure Shows have helped over 1.1 million travelers find, plan and book their dream vacation.Our main focus is to connect quality travelers with the top travel providers in the world. This is all we do, 365 days per year. And with over $2.2 billion in bookings, it’s easy to see why the Travel & Adventure Show Series is the largest, fastest growing series of travel shows in the U.S."So there's plenty of money in this, just not for entertainers. Even if the world heritage and cultural center, which invited you to dance, is itself a non profit, anyone performing at this is contributing to this $2.2 billion commercial--not non-profit--industry. Why would you do that for free?

Anonymous

You are totally, 100% right, Larissa, and I'm glad you brought it up.  Perhaps the studio should discuss this matter in the interest of professionalism and appropriate expectations.  Considering that BDBD did not get a slot at either Rakassah or Cues, the idea of using it as a practice gig is now moot. ??? :-

Anonymous

Generally speaking, BlueDiamonds does not charge for gigs and only takes payment when offered by the clients. BDBD generally does free gigs in exchange for the opportunity to practice their stage skills, spread their love of the dance form and help market the studio. If you feel that it's just not your thing, then don't do it. Some of us don't mind dancing for free.As for Rakassah - Michiyo did reach out for someone to be points and nobody was interested.

Anonymous

I see both points, and I don't want to derail the project, but the criteria of when to insist on payment and when to agree to dance for free is something that should be better clarified in future, for everyone's benefit.  There are several in the greater belly dance community who have written and spoken extensively on this very issue, and it would be educational for us all to talk about it.I committed to leading it and I'm willing to put it together, but I need 3 strong leaders to join me, stat.  One has dropped out, so I have one maybe and one follower - that's not enough for a good show, and the organizer needs to know by the end of January.  If I can't get dancers to commit for this one, I will just cancel.  So those of you who truly don't mind dancing for free, step up, please!  😀(the point about Rakassah was not a dig, it was just a fact based on the original post I made, encouraging people to use this as a practice gig for those events.  there are some who are doing those gigs, so the encouragement still stands!) :-*

Anonymous

Quote from BDBD guidelinePayment for GIGS  Blue Diamonds does not charge for gigs.  Payment may be offered by the client, but there is no set free for BDBD performances. If you feel you have a good opportunity to acquire a paying gig, contact Carolena for advice.

Anonymous

seriously? a post about an unpaid gig is not the place to talk about gig payment? This  announcement has been up for over a month and in all that time only four people had weighed in on it before I launched into Das Kapital. It's not like there's been an avalanche of inquiries and interest that I'm somehow interrupting with these thoughts. Yes, BDBD doesn't charge for gigs because it's the student troupe for gaining experience. Why are we sending the student troupe to an event that can and should pay for the professional troupe? Or if we don't want to think of it as being about students and professionals, why are we sending the troupe that doesn't charge to a venue that can and should be charged?I'll remove the post. Where should I repost it so that people can read and share their own thoughts on this subject? Facebook? My own website? Should I start another thread here? I think we've left this topic unaddressed for too long.

Anonymous

Thank you for creating a separate thread Larissa.  http://fcbd.com/smf/index.php?topic=2996.0Leigh Anne, I'm sorry but I can't make either days.  Hope you will have enough dancers.

Anonymous

sorry leighanne, i can't make this one. it's really hard for me to dance on the weekends during the day because i have to work. good luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘BlueDiamondsBellyDance’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.