Beginning Floorwork/Standing Drops

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello, I'm just starting to learn how to do floorwork and standing drops, and am looking for some beginner tips, since this stuff is particularly challenging on a body that isn't used to it yet. I've downloaded Volume 8, and am also eying the floorwork video Rachel Brice has on Datura Online. Are there any other sources you would recommend for learning technique?Also, what exercises, stretches, yoga poses, etc would you recommend to start working on proper strength and flexibility? I know there is a yoga class with Anita on Volume 8, but I'm also looking for some things I can do on busier days when I can't fit in an entire yoga practice, but can still do a quick stretch or short drill etc.Finally, one issue particular to my body (I think anyway, let me know if other people have this issue!) is that when I'm sitting "froggy style", it seems like an unusual amount of weight is being placed on the top of my foot, to the point that it REALLY hurts in the "oh I think that might actually injure something" way (if I'm on a hard surface, on carpet it doesn't seem to be as much of an issue. Could wearing thick socks be an answer? :P). Looking at a diagram of a foot, it looks like the location of the pressure is on my cuneiforms. Is there an alternate way I can place my feet, or some other adjustment to take some of the weight off of that point?And yes, I have people to spot me while I practice, but don't really have anyone who has learned floorwork technique in-depth.Thanks!

Anonymous

I get the foot issue as well. Trying to come up with some kind of top-of-foot pad or cover type thing but everything I've tried so far makes me look like I have wooly hooves.  ::)

Anonymous

Leotoes makes a floor work version with a pad over the instep as well as the ball of the foot pad. I think Megha either helped them design it or tested it for them. It doesn't completely relieve the pressure, but with them on at least I don't worry that the bones in my insteps will break right through the skin.

Anonymous

Hi Liz!Pretty much any stretch or yoga pose that opens the front side of the body will help you with your floorwork.  You will need to be able to lengthen your quads alot so quad and hip flexor/psoas stretches are essential.  Chest and shoulder openers are also helpful for the upper body.  Some poses you can try:  virasana seated on a block, in between your shins, or lying back on the floor if you are very flexible.  You might warm up for this with half virasana or half kneeling quad and psoas stretchustrasana/camel posesetu bandasana (modified backbend lying on your back) or urdva danurasana (wheel pose/backbend)Make sure you take time to warm up, do the modifications until you can do the full pose, and listen to your body.  Best of luck to you!

Anonymous

Thank you all so much for your advice! I really appreciate it  ;D

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Technique’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.