Black Sheep Belly Dance format differences

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I will be starting private lessons with a dancer who performed and taught Black Sheep Belly Dance format for over ten years. She recently moved to my area and has decided she'd like to dive in and learn FatChance ATS. I'm unfamiliar with the BSBD format and wonder if someone can point out the major differences between it and FCBD. I've heard the formations and lead changes are different? I'll be teaching only FCBD, but feel it will help me focus our lessons if I have a little more background. Thanks!

Anonymous

hm. i think, ursel can tell you a lot about the differences in the two styles (she's our german tribla library).in my opinion one big difference is, that bsbd are not only having one performance angle to the left, but also having the performance angle to the right and also beginning fast steps with the left leg...

Anonymous

*lol* Oona is right, studying the differences between the tribal formats is my pet project. 😉 Actually, I keep writing a series of articles for a German bellydance magazine on that subject. But it's all in German, so I guess that won't be of much use to you.So, BSBD, let me think ...Many of their formations are very similar to ATS(R), but in BSBD format you can also lead from the right side or from the middle (like in a faded trio). Asymmetrical movements (basically the whole Pivot Bump family, but also moves like the Arabic Hiptwist) are done with the right foot or the left foot leading, depending on where the lead is (or the other way round: the position of the lead depends on which foot starts the move). Symmetrical steps on the other hand are always leading with the right foot, regardless of the position of the formation's lead, because such moves are done flat to the front, not in a performance angle.Oh, and for lead changes you don't have to circle up in BSBD format - they often just rotate. And fades don't necessarily fade back. 😉As for the movements, many of the basic moves are similar, at least on first sight. But there are often minor differences, like their Pivot Bump being only done with Arms 1 (so Arms 2 will be rather unfamiliar for your student, or she may initially interpret that as an intended change of the leading foot and therefore a lead change towards the right side of the formation). In Circle Step, Torso Rotation and Ribcage Rotation the movement is taken along slightly different paths, the Bodyave has different arm positions and variations, the Camel Walk doesn't end with a Torso Rotation (and the one-armed Camel is unknown), Turns can be taken both ways round and have different variations, a Triple Egyptian cue means a Full Turn in BSBD ... etc.Also there are plenty of movements in BSBD format that are unknown in ATS(R), like the Pestle (originating in Gypsy Caravan format) in their level 1, and many, many level 2 moves.I hope this helps a little?BTW, here's a lovely performance done by ATS(R) and BSBD dancers:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86EjmMcWJU0

Anonymous

Yes, thank you – this is very helpful. And that video you recommended was a delight! It gives a whole new meaning to “dueling duets”…

Anonymous

Yes, it does, doesn't it? 😉Plus, it's an elegant way of having the two formats work together almost seamlessly. 8)

Anonymous

I'm so glad you ladies liked it  🙂

Anonymous

That video was wonderful!!!!

Anonymous

Beautiful and so much fun, thanks for sharing!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.