Camel Walk Questions

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Last time I was at the FCBD studio (which was admittedly too long ago!), it seemed like everyone was doing the camel walk a little more open than I am used to at home.  On the first part, do the arms split in front of the body or a bit out along by the sides? Does the left arm sweep out at all when it comes up? Then, how far do your arms reach on the second part? I was watching the drill video with Kae & Wendy and it looks like the arms never go much lower than the waist, so the arms don't go totally straight.And on the second part, do you stay on the ball of the foot? Looking back at vol. 4, it looks like the answer to that question is yes.Thanks in advance for your help clarifying!

Anonymous

From my understanding: The positioning of the arms for the first position: I think it depends on where you're starting the movement from. If you're starting from arms overhead the left arm will remain raised as the right arm pushes down. If your arms are starting from horizontal, your left arm will raise out and up as the right pushes down.For the second arm position: I'm obsessed with lines, so I like my arm angle on the left to match the angle of the leg. Keep in mind that the elbow remains lifted throughout.If you watch the online classes, yes you are always on the balls of the feet - until you go into the torso twist.

Anonymous

That's very clear and helpful! Thank you!

Anonymous

Agreed.  The arms do not pull from center to start.  I've seen this happen in other places and don't know where that idea comes from.Your 1st arm position will get you to almost vertical without the elbows straightening.  Right palm plunges down to the right hip and left hand floats up along the same plane as the body to overhead.  Your 2nd arm position should simulate (doesn't need to be exact) the angle of the left leg and create a diagonal line, also without locking out the elbows.The right foot is on the ball the whole time, essentially doing a slight level change on one leg for the second position, so be sure you have your knee facing forward, aligned with your foot.  You can also go flat, if needed and can bend the knee also in alignment.

Anonymous

It was fun to talk to Larissa when she stayed here during STTWC… She was telling me about the origin of this movement being a slow traveling movement that had a lot more lean to it than it does now. The demonstration was lovely. CW is one of my favorites.

Anonymous

Oh, I'd love to learn more about the CW's origin – I've always wondered, because it doesn't bear any similarity to any bellydance move I've ever learned in my cabaret style days.

Anonymous

It was fun to talk to Larissa when she stayed here during STTWC... She was telling me about the origin of this movement being a slow traveling movement that had a lot more lean to it than it does now. The demonstration was lovely. CW is one of my favorites.

I'm curious too! Is there a video of this travelling movement somewhere?

Anonymous

Agreed.  The arms do not pull from center to start.  I've seen this happen in other places and don't know where that idea comes from.Your 1st arm position will get you to almost vertical without the elbows straightening.  Right palm plunges down to the right hip and left hand floats up along the same plane as the body to overhead.  Your 2nd arm position should simulate (doesn't need to be exact) the angle of the left leg and create a diagonal line, also without locking out the elbows.The right foot is on the ball the whole time, essentially doing a slight level change on one leg for the second position, so be sure you have your knee facing forward, aligned with your foot.  You can also go flat, if needed and can bend the knee also in alignment.

Could someone please clarify the direction of the gaze... right/left, up/down and the timing?

Anonymous

It's a slow move, so the timing depends on your musicality – you can speed it up or draw it out to emphasise bits of your music. As to the gaze, I think I look to the front for the first bit, to the left for the second, then normal tracking from right to left for the torso twist. But whether that is canon or just my habit I couldn't say!

Anonymous

Position 1: head turns to the right front corner, eyes look down.  Head stays level.Position 2: head turns to the left side, eyes look past left hand.  Head stays level.Follow-thru: same as Torso Twist, looking into the open space.  Head stays level.

Anonymous

Position 1: head turns to the right front corner, eyes look down. 

I am going to have to work on that!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘ATS®’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.