Can I do ATS solos successfully?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Originally posted by aimee on tribe.net.Hello, I am pondering this question because I really want to learn ATS but dont have anyone who teaches this locally. The only teacher we have nearby focuses on Egyptian and Ive been working with her for 21/2 years. Ive been working with FCBD dvds and havent had much success getting anyone to partner up with me. I have taken ATS workshops when they are available and will at some point consider traveling to out of town classes, but would like to know what your opinions are in doing an occasional solo piece with ATS only?

Anonymous

Originally posted by Margaret on tribe.net.Its generally thought of as a group dance, but Ive seen Carolena and Nancy Young (a Los Angeles dancer) do solos beautifully, using only ATS vocabulary, so it is possible.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Carrie on tribe.net.You can think of it as fusion. As a solo you just dont have the need for specific cuing, specific performance angle, etc. Since you dont have to communicate with anyone, you can face any direction, spin without cues, that kind of thing. Which makes the dance become fusion. Which is totally legitimate and acceptable. br/Mimis dvd, Tribal Revival has some info. on it about taking ATS moves into solo performance.

Anonymous

Originally posted by aimee on tribe.net.I just got her dvd! Im really excited to get started on it!Thanks!

Anonymous

Originally posted by Unknown on tribe.net.Hey there, since I was mentioned I figured Id chime in. I dont in any way consider ATS to be a solo dance format. Its really meant, and looks much much cooler with two or more people and I love a big group.br/br/That being said, the solo variations on the TR dvd are for ideas for solos when you dont have anyone to dance with, or to pepper in to a fusion performance. Id put solo ATS into the realm of fusion, as Carrie said. br/br/As for dance partners 🙂 I think a lot of us started teaching for the sole purpose of having people to dance with and even if youre not at that point with your dancing yet, maybe finding a person or two just to mess around with the videos and learn together. Maybe advertise as a belly dance club and have some fun with it?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘ATS®’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.