Cat Walk Shimmy?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Originally posted by Skin Deep D on tribe.net.Hello!br/br/One of my students recently asked me if the "Bicycle Shimmy" was the same as "Carolenas Cat Walk Shimmy"? I didnt know what to say. Perhaps the name has changed? I learne the Bicycle Simmy from Adriene Rice of Troupe Hipnotica back in 2003. Did you change the name?br/br/Thanks! br/Katrina McCoybr/

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.No clue about the Bicycle Shimmy. I think the catwalk refers to putting one foot in front of the other as you move forward in a shimmy, it serves to make the hips more curvy as you shimmy, as if youre on a tightrope.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Skin Deep D on tribe.net.Is the Cat Walk Shimmy the same as a 3/4 shimmy while walking on a tightrope?br/br/Bicycle Shimmy is when you are flat footed and sorta pigeon toed. The hips rolls over like when riding a bike. Its done with a 3/4 shimmy. It used to be a FCBD step...at least that was what I was told in 2003. 🙂 Guess not anymore at least.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.What youre describing sounds like what we call a reverse shimmy, although we dont do that flat footed, so the Bicycle Shimmy must be Adriennes variation. br/br/Catwalk Shimmy is not part of our terminology, Im guessing that came from the technique used to give more shape to a 3/4 shimmy. Its not a step in our vocabulary.

Anonymous

Originally posted by MissTrixsta on tribe.net.Troupe Hipnotica have a bicycle shimmy in their repertoire as well as the reverse shimmy which I believe they perform with their arms up.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Sandi on tribe.net.Sometimes Carolena will use the term "catwalk" or "nightclub" to describe our standard 3/4 shimmy. It is to describe the feel of the step motion.br/br/The Bicycle Shimmy sounds like theyre cycling the hips forward and twisting the hips more than the standard shimmy.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Cayte on tribe.net.The BIcycle Shimmy is also a Gypsy Caravan move - its on one of theirinstructional DVDs.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Shay Moore on tribe.net.I know the bicycle shimmy as a Gypsy Caravan vocab movement.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Icy (icyjazzy) aka Bumble Bee Butt on tribe.net.There were several moves adapted into Troupe Hipnotica, one was the Gypsy Caravan Bicycle Shimmy along with their variation on the camel walk.br/br/The pigeon toe reference was used at a teaching description of how to get to doing the Bicycle Shimmy faster. Yes, Sandi it does have a forward hip rotation in the shimmy.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Carrie on tribe.net.I thought Carolenas Cat Walk shimmy was a regular ATS Shimmy step traveling forward but instead of keeping the feet more side to side, you stepped in front of the other to make it look a little more girly. -Not an actual move. She was just showing the difference between the footing.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.Yes, Carrie, you are correct. Its the same thing I said at the beginning of the thread.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Shay Moore on tribe.net.Hrm, I am not sure how pigeon toe-ing would make it faster, but it does allow it to rotate downward and inward with less torque on the knee.br/br/The "Bicycle" in the name refers to the rotating of the hips forward and down, akin to the pedals of a bike in motion.br/br/I love these discussions, learning all the different interpretations!

Anonymous

Originally posted by Shay Moore on tribe.net.I love this variation, and hadnt played with it much lately. Thanks to Katrina and this thread to remind me of this sassy and fun variation!

Anonymous

Originally posted by Carrie on tribe.net.Right? Dont you love how I just reworded what you said and made it look my own material? HA! Actually, by the time I read through all the posts, I forget what was at the beginning. 😉

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.I think actually you reworded it in a clearer way! So iz better! 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘ATS®’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.