Circle Step and Torso Twist turns in a circle– can these happen?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

If a trio or quartet has circled up and someone stops the circle to do a TT or Circle Step, would you ever take these moves into turns (be they 3-point or half turns)? It would seem not, since you'd all be turned away from each other, so no one would know when to launch the next turn. What is the FatChance rule about this?

Anonymous

I could see something choreographed, but yeah…. sight lines would be a tad tricky…

Anonymous

I can't imagine doing either Circle Step or Torso Twist in thirds in a circle –  I think the audience might not understand what was happening, since it might look sloppy and uncoordinated.  Turning in halves seems more reasonable, but you'd want to make sure everyone was in sync, had clear start and end points, and had a lot of energy behind the move so that the audience can see clear shapes.I'll of course to defer to FC on this, but I suspect there's no "rule" per se - just thoughts about what does or doesn't look good to the audience.

Anonymous

Thanks, ladies. That is my sense of it, too.

Anonymous

Yeah, sight lines are not great in those situations.  Plus, those moves look best when moving in the flock of birds fashion, IMO.

Anonymous

Good question! I think it would work in halves, as the front and back planes would be obvious to both the dancers and the viewers. I wouldn't bother with thirds.

Anonymous

Carolena, if you took it in halves, how would the dancers know when to turn back into the circle on the second half-turn? They'd be facing away from each other at that point. Maybe a glance over the left shoulder or some such?

Anonymous

If you are skilled enough to be doing a Circle Step in a circle, you would have rehearsed it in class and be familiar enough with the music that you and the others can “vibe” the second part of the turn.

Anonymous

Understood! Thanks, Carolena.

Anonymous

Good question and happy to hear Carolena's response.  My troupe keeps this as an option, and assumes it's going in half.  It has probably never happened with Circle Step, but we do it with Torso Rotation.  Our head is gestured to the left when we finish torso rotation so that we can see the person to our left (when facing out) in our periphery. 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.