Clarification needed on class Level structures: still L1, L2, L3, & L4?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi Carolena, I'm needing some direction here 🙂I know you have made some class changes at the S.F. studio, and Level 4 is gone.I'm guessing that most of your Level 3 students are very familiar with the moves from Vol. 7, and have actually had those moves taught to them in your previous Level 3 classes.I have a small group of students (4) who are attending what I would consider a combo of Levels 3 & 4, as they used to be set up at the FC studio.When my current Level 1 & 2 students are ready to move on to Level 3 moves (Vol. 7), they will not be ready to attend this current class of Level 3-4, as they will not know any of the moves from Vol. 7.Would you recommend that we continue to offer a separate Level 3 class for learning Vol. 7, and continue to have a Level 4 class for drilling all steps, formations, cues, transitions, variations, etc. & a performance preparation Level 4 class? I am asking for a couple of reasons. One of my Level 2 students, who has not actually attended one full session of Level 2 (she's missed at least 3 lessons) is asking if she can attend my Level 3 class in January. My answer, of course, is going to have to be no.  But I am left puzzling how you will be integrating your Level 2 students into your new Level 3 class.Muchos Gracias for your insight into this dilemma 🙂xorhi

Anonymous

Hi Rhiannyn – This is what I've observed from my classes at FCBD – the newer L3 students don't receive a planned breakdown of the L3 moves. There will be a focus (decided sometimes by the teacher, and sometimes the teacher takes student requests) on a few moves or a concept for that day. When there is group dancing, all the moves are used, so the new L3 students will follow along the best they can, and obviously wouldn't choose to lead a move that they aren't familiar with. When it is time for questions, a newer L3 dancer might say “What was that swishy move with the different zill pattern that we turned to the back?” and the teacher will say “Oh, that's the double back” and break it down.This really gets into that trust concept that Wendy posted about the other day, too. The new students have to trust that they'll be able to keep up and they know enough of the basics that they won't get totally lost. (And, really, nobody ever gets totally lost.) The veteran students are always kind enough not to throw something totally crazy into the mix if there is a newer student in their group. And, the student has to be willing to speak up and ask questions, too, so they have to trust the teacher and the other students and feel safe (which they seem to). Over time, all the moves will get covered if they keep coming to class, so they will get the official breakdowns.

Anonymous

Thanks Jennifer! 🙂That clears up a few things. So as I have said to this student, she needs to be well versed in Level 1 & 2 before coming to my other class. How long is the Level 3 class down there? I think the Level 4 was 2 1/2 hrs... Is that what the Level 3 is now?

Anonymous

Nah Rhi, It's only an hour and a half. Level 4 was never that long :p

Anonymous

LOL, I guess it just seemed like it, as I was sitting in the corner observing… hard on my tush 😉

Anonymous

I agree with the description that Jennifer gives; L3 is a loosely structured class and new students should have enough of a base to be able to roll with it. And yes, as Jesse says, L4 was only 1 hour 15 minutes!

Anonymous

Thank you, Carolena! The student in question, as mentioned, is not at all ready for that class. I have already explained it to her, but have not heard back from her. Oh well.... As I said to Jesse, I think that class seemed longer to me because I was sitting on the floor, observing, jotting notes, taking a few photos, concentrating so hard, and my tush was getting sore... but such a worthwhile day taking in all four levels.  Quite extraordinary for this fledgling 🙂Warm regards everyone, thank for your input, you are all such a valuable resource <3 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.