Class behavior expectations

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I apologize if this has been discussed.  I searched but couldn't find anything regarding class expectations.  I saw a lot about troupe expectations.  Does anyone have a good class expectations document about class behavior that they could share?  I am looking for something positively stated about the appropriate interaction between student and teacher (e.g., no side teaching, no interrupting the teacher, etc).  Thanks. Terri

Anonymous

Hi Terri,The following Tribal Code hangs up in the FCBD Studio and is included in their student guidelines. I've in turn passed it onto my students as something to live by both in and outside the studio. It may be a starting point for you...?Hope it helps!Philippa

TRIBAL CODE

Commitment: Be there for your dance sisters. Whether it’s making sure your cues are strong or getting to a gig on time, we all need to depend on one another. Communication: Ask questions and learn from the more experienced dancers and teachers. Also, don’t let things fester. Express yourself in a constructive, respectful way. Awareness: Be aware of how your words or actions can affect others. What makes sense to you may be understood differently by someone else. Take considerations to think before you speak or act. Teflon: Don’t take things personally!  There are too many unique individuals in this group to avoid minor misunderstandings. Let things slide off your ego – don’t let things stick! Humility: We all can benefit from going to Level 1 and Level 2 classes and working on technique. We can also benefit from allowing room for all our personalities to exist. Trust: This dance form is founded on trust, on and off the dance floor. Earn people’s trust and give yours as well. Respect: Treat your fellow dancers (and human beings) with compassionate respect and be mindful of others’ talents and limitations. Respect the dance form for what it is rather than how you would change it. Support: Come to the shows of FatChanceBellyDance and of your fellow dancers. Not only does it support the dancers, it is a great way to learn about performance! Joy: Dance for the love of it! Enjoy yourself and the company of others.

Anonymous

Thank you for posting, Philippa!

Anonymous

Thank you! 🙂

Anonymous

Good subject, Terri. The Tribal Code guidelines are excellent to hand out to your students. Personally, I add a few classroom etiquette pointers on my website (on the page Class Fees & Guidelines) that you might find useful:Classroom etiquette:     Don't ask your classmates to teach you. I'm the teacher. If you have questions, please ask me. I welcome questions! My classes are small and friendly, so don't be shy!    Don't teach your classmates. I'm the teacher. If someone asks you a question, gently direct her to me.    Don't chat during class. Class time is for focusing and being present to the dance. Be respectful to me and to your classmates.   Don't talk while dancing. If you are talking, you are no longer dancing.   Don't be defensive when I correct you, and don't give excuses. If you aren't open to critique, you can't learn. Cultivate a welcoming attitude toward critique: it tells you how to improve your dance!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.