coming out of circle in to a stager formation?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello,I have a question my dancers and I have been playing with the stager formation when we have more than 4 dancers, or say at the end of a set we sometimes like to finish with all dancers dancing.  We have picked up dancers remaining in a chorus with a circle, we have tried a couple different ways to form a stager coming out of the circle.  One way is to have who ever is going to take lead to break the circle take lead then the next dancer after her would fall in as in a duet with that lead dancer, then the next dancer would move into another lead position with another duet forming and so on until all dancers are in a stager.    An alternative choice we have played with is lead dancer takes lead, then next dancer falls in next to her slightly behind, and then another dancer taking the next lead slightly back from that leader and so on the back dancers falling in behind them to form a stager.  ( hope this makes sense)  We have had as many as 5 to 8 dancers to play with this.  Is there a formal way that the stager should be formed?  Thank you for any information you may have regarding this.    Brigiett

Anonymous

In my experience, I've found any more than 5 going from a big circle into a stagger quite challenging.  With so many the sight lines are off and it doesn't fair well unless it's choreographed and everyone knows who is taking lead and where their own placement will be.  So my suggestion would be to choreograph it.  OR go into a V formation instead of stagger.  My troupe and I have found it much easier.  We don't always end our sets with everyone out, but when we do, we've chosen the V over the stagger for ease.  Your mileage may vary.  I'm curious to see what other have or have not found successful. 

Anonymous

How do you move into a V formation? I want to try it now that I have 5 dancers in my troupe, but don't have u-tube links. Can anyone pass on the u-tube links and any direction on how to get into the V? Thanks!

Anonymous

the 5 person V formation is normally choreographed.

Anonymous

Hi Brigiett, I don´t see any difference in the two ways you described. Anyways, we often used to dance in 5 or 6 in a stagger and it´s ok to follow. The way you form the stagger is from a circle whoever is in the front half of the circle goes into the firts line of the stagger, the back half forms the second line. And the leader is of course the most forward. It´s just like a quarter but you now have 1 or 2 people extra. No magic, only practise 🙂 Everybody has to be comfortable getting to their spot quickly. If you practise enough, there´s really no need to choreograph who´s standing where. Here´s an example from my troupe: http://youtu.be/tc7KdmSn9t8 (go for 10:20)

Anonymous

The reason staggers from circles of more than 4 people look messy is because 1. circling folks are not paying attention to the 6-9pm zone of the lead-taking section or 2. the new lead isn't breaking eye contact early enough or 3. both.Whenever we've used more than 4 in a stagger, we've decided ahead of time who is going to lead the large stagger so we know who to keep our eyes on.  Especially on a large stage, where you don't want any train wrecks.  We also keep the movements very simple with big, easy to read cues.Also, remember that a circle can become a stagger very easily if you treat each position like a "chair" in a musical chair game (but in this case we all have a spot).  (For those of you who aren't in the know - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_mb_c8su7k.)  So we all know where our next position will be when the lead is taken, take note of where you are in the circle every time a potential leader is in the "zone" and land where it make sense.  No backing up should be necessary if you all know where you should be.

Anonymous

Thank you everyone !

Anonymous

Hi,if you are dancing with 4 People and you want to come out of circle into a stagger formation- how do you signalize that you want to do a stagger and no formation?

Anonymous

I think this is really clear, when the third dancer gets into stagger position. But its not the decision of the leader…Think, thats what Lenka shows in the the video…For leading this I don`t know. I think, we have ta talk about this before dancing...

Anonymous

Hi everybody, it was a misunderstanding of mine! I discovered, that in Germany exists another type and declaration! Very confusing... Everything is clear to me now! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.