Conditioning for dance – DVD recommendations?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I need to add some extra conditioning outside attending classes. Unfortunately there aren't any good yoga classes near me, so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good DVDs? Yoga, Tai Chi, dance conditioning, whatever you have found effective (but fairly low impact please – my knees are not good). Of course, if Anita were to do a DVD of her dance conditioning class, I would definitely back that kickstarter!Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

I really love Datura Online.  It's run by Rachel Brice, and has a bunch of different classes and teachers (Rachel Brice, Ashley Lopez, Collete Todorov, Zoe Jakes etc etc etc).  They have videos for yoga, pilates, ATS drills, tribal fusion, cardio workouts…it's great!  You can subscribe to unlimited access to all the videos for $29 per month, or just subscribe to specific videos for varying prices.http://www.daturaonline.com

Anonymous

Cassandra Shore has a great 2-DVD set.Anita's yoga segment on Volume 8 is great. For dance cardio, I enjoy Samira Shuruk's RaqFit and Oreet's SharQui videos, and of course the ATS® cardio section on the Woman Power Workout. Other than that I love kettlebells, TRX, weight lifting, and running, and they all help in different ways.

Anonymous

Thanks! I hadn't even thought of Datura!I love the yoga section on Vol 8 - which is why I want Anita to do a whole conditioning video.

Anonymous

Pilates is awesome for conditioning too… just using a mat, not with equipment (isn't necessary unless you're doing it as physiotherapy). It focuses on strengthening the core, and improving body alignment. It has great benefits for posture in dance and everyday life. I do a class at my local gym that is great.. there are also lots of DVD's around. I think Suhaila has one. Also Ashley Lopez has some on Datura.

Anonymous

I love yoga, and am lucky enough to have classes to hand.  It's certainly made a difference to my life.  How about YouTube?  There's many videos you could use.  This one is one of a 30 Day Yoga Challenge http://youtu.be/_wJtQjQ4HI8 but there's plenty of other to choose from  🙂

Anonymous

Kari Anderson's Reach and Angles, Lines and Curves II are fantastic for strengthing and developing grace, as well as awareness of how you appear in peformance. She calls it “creating art in space”. If you're having problems with stamina in your arms, grab a hold of the Ballet Beautiful Body Blast DVD (it used to be free on the Amazon Prime streaming channel, according to friends State-side), and hit the Swan Arms series twice a week. It looks easy, but actually it's pretty brutal!Is Aziza's Bellydance Companion still around? It's great for dancers of all styles if you can get a hold of it. ETA: Just remembered Leah Sarago's Ballet Body Signature Series DVDs as well. Depending on your fitness level, you might want to work up to these.

Anonymous

I love yoga, and am lucky enough to have classes to hand.  It's certainly made a difference to my life.  How about YouTube?  There's many videos you could use.  This one is one of a 30 Day Yoga Challenge http://youtu.be/_wJtQjQ4HI8 but there's plenty of other to choose from  🙂

I know there are a lot, but like with belly dance videos on youtube, the quality and reliability of instruction varies widely! That's why I wanted recommendations, so I don't end up hurting myself.

Anonymous

Kari Anderson's Reach and Angles, Lines and Curves II are fantastic for strengthing and developing grace, as well as awareness of how you appear in peformance. She calls it "creating art in space".

That sounds really good! I will look for it.

Anonymous

If you are able to get some small pieces of equipment, I am finding that there's nothing like weightlifting (bodyweight, kettlebells, whatever) to provide great cross-training for dance.  Getting stronger will make you a better dancer.If you are a fan of yoga but want a gentle, accessible beginner level, you might try Chrissy Carter's yoga DVDs:  http://chrissycarter.com/gaiam-dvd/

Anonymous

Kari Anderson's Reach and Angles, Lines and Curves II are fantastic for strengthing and developing grace, as well as awareness of how you appear in performance. She calls it "creating art in space". If you're having problems with stamina in your arms, grab a hold of the Ballet Beautiful Body Blast DVD (it used to be free on the Amazon Prime streaming channel, according to friends State-side), and hit the Swan Arms series twice a week. It looks easy, but actually it's pretty brutal!Is Aziza's Bellydance Companion still around? It's great for dancers of all styles if you can get a hold of it. ETA: Just remembered Leah Sarago's Ballet Body Signature Series DVDs as well. Depending on your fitness level, you might want to work up to these.

Thank you for these awesome references! Especially the Ballet Beautiful and Swan Arms

Anonymous

I wish we had a like button on this forum!

Anonymous

Tee hee.  Carolena gave me permission to let the cat out of the bag.  Stay tuned for a yoga/conditioning DVD to be coming out from FatChanceBellyDance® in the next year!!!

Anonymous

Nice!

Anonymous

Tee hee.  Carolena gave me permission to let the cat out of the bag.  Stay tuned for a yoga/conditioning DVD to be coming out from FatChanceBellyDance® in the next year!!!

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!   :-*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Learning ATS®’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.