Counting steps

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Janet Hanseth Janet Hanseth 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Janet Hanseth
    Janet Hanseth
    Keymaster

Originally posted by Zina on tribe.net.Hello all,br/br/In my own practices Ive found if I could steps its easier to stay with the music and put movement changes in more logical places within a song. Assuming most songs we use are 4 or 8 beats to the measure and the phrasing may change at the beginning of a new measure; using Egyptian as an example, Ive been working on cuing the 1/2 on counts 5-8, then starting the 1/2 turns on 1. Does this make sense. Anyway, my question is this...would it be considered wrong to teach this to students? I know improv is improv, but I dislike when the movements dont really match the musics phrasing. Makes me think it might seem we dont know our music.br/br/Comments? I can take it. :)br/br/P.S. Ive learned that if I practice it enough, I no longer have to count...dont want to be obvious. lol

Anonymous

Originally posted by Jennifer on tribe.net.Hi Zina - I asked a similar question not too long ago, and lots of people responded with great advice: a href=http://tribes.tribe.net/atsgstt/thread/d85bce0a-e23b-4e39-b176-a2e2cc72bcdf title=tribes.tribe.net/atsgstt/t...e2cc72bcdftribes.tribe.net/atsgstt/t...e2cc72bcdf/abr/br/Just this last few weeks, I have been covering some musicality stuff in my L2 classes. We have talked about rhythms, counting, why 4 and 8 counts are important/relevant, and phrases of 32. My Tues and Thurs classes each have a song assigned to them, and they have homework to count out the songs - how many phrases of 32, when do they start and end, and there is a separate count of just 16 for a transition in each song, so they have to pick that out, too. When I drill fast moves during warm-up at the beginning of class, I have also been holding each move for 32 counts, changing it to the turn for the last 16 (16 counts reach and sit in place, 16 turning; 16 turkish shimmy in place; 16 half turns) - this is helping them to feel when they changes in the music are (for those that dont hear this naturally), and they know that we wouldnt actually hold a move for so long or dance so structured in performance.br/br/Weve talked about the benefits of counting (and that eventually you wont need to actually *count* while you dance, you will just hear where the changes are and be able to anticipate them), such as not having to count "1, 2, 3, . . .16" when doing your Ghawazee shimmy, instead just being able to start at the right place in the phrase that you finish when a new 32 is starting . . . among many other benefits. Some of my students get the counting really easily, some of them understand it with their bodies but not their brains yet, but I think they are all understanding why it is important and beneficial for them to learn it, so they are at least giving the lessons a chance. I think for some people, it will just take more time for it to make sense.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Zina on tribe.net.Thanks so much, Jennifer. After I posted the realization hit that I hadnt searched to see if the question had already been asked. Ill definitely go to the link.br/br/Apologies to everyone for duplicating a question.br/

Anonymous

Originally posted by *** Diana Lee ** on tribe.net.Hello Jenifer!!br/br/Thats great information about the countig. Thank You. I tried to go to the link you posted but I think I need some kind of permission from the tribe and I cant find it. Will you post it again. :-/

Anonymous

Originally posted by Sandi on tribe.net.Youll need to email Carolena about getting added to that tribe. It is the ATSGSTT tribe and it is for all who have completed GS/TT, which you have already, if youre here in this tribe. Once Carolena gives the go-ahead, she will let Shay know to add you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.