Delicate situation I need feedback

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello!!Ok here it goes.  Where I live there is only 2 certified teachers of ATS.  Right now I have a nice group of ladies that dance with me since the beginning and are very happy.Students keep coming in, but I recently became aware of a kind of not so comfortable situation with a couple of students.The other teacher teaches also Raks Sharqui and these two students take classes with her and even though she also is teaching ATS®, they are taking the classes with me and have already danced with my group at least as chorus.Now here it is.  This other teacher made an approach to these 2 students, asking them how many classes have they taken from me, telling them they are quick learners and if they want to leave me and take classes and dance with her troupe. The answer of these two students was thank you but no thank you, because they don't think it is the right thing to do.This happened to me just once before with this same teacher.  The student took ATS® classes with both of us, but was getting confused with the way the other teacher was teaching her ATS® and decided to stay with me only.Here is my dilemma.  Should I say something to all my students, letting them know that this is happening?  I really don't want to deal with the fact that I have to fix what ever the other teacher is teaching and enter in this she-said-I-said with any student that questions they way I teach (which already happened)What I am feeling right now is, students take classes with whom ever they want, but  I decided that if they take classes of ATS® with her,  and any of my students or troupe members that decides to dance with her I don't want them taking classes with me at the same time so I wont accept them back.Is this being childish or pardon my french "bitch"  I really don't know how to handle this.  Is this right? she making this kind of approach to ladies that already dance with me?  Have any of you been in a similar situation. 😮  Should I just ignore this and keep doing what I am doing not letting this affect me?I will appreciate any comments that shed some light please. ???Thank You sisters

Anonymous

Poaching is underhanded, sure.I kind of think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot if you banned students from taking classes with both of you at the same time. IMO, chances are good that a certain percentage of those who take from both will eventually just take from one, and the odds say that some would choose you. Do you want to alienate students by saying that you can't study with more than one teacher?When it comes to student troupes or professional troupes, I think you can say something *if* you think your troupe members are stretching themselves too thin by committing to more than one troupe. I don't think you should make a stink about it before there's a problem, though. And try to keep it framed in terms of the commitment level you require for your student troupe (x% attendance at rehearsals, no bailing on performances once you've committed, etc.). If troupe members can't honor the commitment they've made for any reason, there's a problem. I would avoid making public (class or otherwise) statements about the teaching ability or ethics of the other teacher, and focus on being the best teacher you can be. If an ethics discussion needs to happen, it should probably be between you and the other teacher. (Hey, Carolena has a mediation service, IIRC.)

Anonymous

Thank you very much for your insight Diana. I was already inclined in not saying anything since my way of teaching will speak by itself.🙂

Anonymous

Diana,I'm confused; is the other teacher a Sister Studio? Has she studied ATS® or is she just adding it to her repertoire for revenue?I agree that you should not ban anyone from your classes, because if she is not teaching correct ATS®, she will eventually lose steam and they will want to come back to you for proper instruction.But, let me know if she is trained in ATS® or just dappling.

Anonymous

Hello Carolena,Thank you for your insight.  Yes, she is a Certified ATS® Teacher, but I am not sure if she is sister studio, I guess that is why I found it a delicate situation. If she wasn't a certified ATS® teacher,  well, that is something I could say to the students, that I am certified and she is not and that would be the end of it, letting them make their decision  But....in this case she is.  I just needed to listen to others opinion,  I guess a little reinforcement from other teachers, that I am doing the correct thing, just letting things slide and keep focusing on what I am doing letting students decide for them self.  Under any circumstance I would make any statements about the teaching ability or ethics of the other teacher.  It is not my style. I guess it is not such a difficult situation after all  😛Thank you Carolena xoxo and Congratulations in the Devotion Show

Anonymous

:: shudders ::That kind of behaviour is just crass. It is one thing if your students decide to go to another teacher for whatever reason. But to poach from another teacher? And if the other teacher is also an SS, they REALLY should know better!

Anonymous

I was already inclined in not saying anything since my way of teaching will speak by itself.🙂

I stand by that. In the end, she will either have to bring up her teaching style/ability to keep her students coming to her or lose out. No need for you to sully yourself with HER petty drama and student poaching.

Anonymous

Thank You for your support, Valizan and Adhara !!! 😀

Anonymous

Diana, if you are still at odds with this situation I'd be happy to set up a Tribal Counsel with you.I'm wrapped up with wedding plans this week, but will be back to work after 25 Sep.I'd love to have a Skype with you and see your pretty face 🙂

Anonymous

Hello Carolena !!!Thank you very much,  and congratulations again on your wedding>  😀  I let the situation resolve by it self.  I payed no attention to it, and to my knowledge is has not happened anymore,  I even think she stop teaching  :-I appreciate very much you support ♥ I will love to skype nevertheless. I will send you an e-mail to set a date and a time that works for you, since we have a 3 hour difference us being ahead of SF.ps.  I saw some pictures that Kristine took.  You look radiant, and You and Loretta, both very happy. My heart jumps of joy for you. ;D

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.