Do you teach in a skirt?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi ladies!I'm wondering if you all teach your classes wearing an ATS-typical 25 yard skirt. I've always done it, but like most teachers, I'm always hiking it up to show my legs. I've noticed that among the FCBD ladies, I tend to see them teach in leggings and hip scarves, except for Carolena, who seems to always teach the workshops I've attended in a skirt. I've always taught in a skirt because I want to emphasize to the students that a lot of the knee and feet action that makes bellydance moves work is magically hidden by the skirt...except that I find I never hide it!  😀Your thoughts? I'm only teaching Level 1 right now.

Anonymous

Most if not all of the other FCBD ladies teach in 25-yard skirts, tucked up to show their knees.  At least that's what I've seen at the studio; I'm not sure what they do when they're travelling.  When I teach / have taught, I also wear a 25-yard skirt.  I feel incomplete without it, and I feel like the students don't get the full aesthetic without it.

Anonymous

I always teach beginners in leggings and hip scarf so they can see my legs the whole time, and wear a skirt for Level 2's and upwards (which is often tucked up).But yes, I do feel I complete without a skirt 🙂

Anonymous

…… meant to say 'incomplete' (silly predictive text)! 😉

Anonymous

It's too hot to teach in a skirt all the time, So i'm usually in legging/workout pants and a sash, Choli or tank top. for my upper level students where i don't have to worry about them seeing the feet/legs/posture on me, I'll wear pantaloons and a skirt tucked.

Anonymous

I wear a tucked skirt and Capri leggings or leg warmers and I always wear a Flying skirts choli

Anonymous

I wear a 15 yard skirt because it's easier to tuck. 

Anonymous

I always wear a skirt. Not usually a 25 yard skirt, because there is just so much to tuck, usually a Padma or similar. I like to convey the importance of the costuming. And most of my committed beginners have started wearing skirts too  😀

Anonymous

I wear the FC black 10 yd skirt for teaching, with leggings underneath… and tuck the skirt up in the front and back, with the sides a bit longer.Sometimes wear a 25 yd for advanced classes.

Anonymous

🙂 Hi!! Yes, I teach with a 10yrd black skirt or a Padma, usually tucked so they can se my knees.  I feel the same way as the rest, I  feel incomplete without.  ;D

Anonymous

I *wish* I could teach in a skirt. .. I keep trying, but every time it just gets in the way or the tucking falls out and then I feel like the re-tucking is distracting from my teaching…

Anonymous

I'm a skirt person too 😉

Anonymous

For beginners generally leggings n scarf or pants, so they can see what my feet/legs are doing.  In the other levels wear a skirt but usually end up tucking up….

Anonymous

I find it important to get new students used to the visual and feel of choli and skirt.  I always teach in choli, leggings and skirt.  When they don't need to see my feet (drills), I untuck the skirt so they can see the full effect.  I tuck up when breaking down steps.  I can keep talking while doing this.  🙂Thinking back to my younger bellydance days, taking classes with Carolena, I remember the visual impact of seeing her wear the skirt and showing the legs/feet only when needed.  Since it was all new to me, I needed that "this is all a part of it" influence to inspire me.I really like the blend between clear break down visuals and respecting the idea that the skirt is part of the dance.

Anonymous

What Sandi said, hear, hear! In fact I've never seen any of the FatChance ladies without a skirt and choli in all the many classes and workshops I've had with them in many venues over the years. As a result of their role-modeling, I, too, always wear a skirt and choli when I teach.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.