duet and trio formations

This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Janet Hanseth Janet Hanseth 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Janet Hanseth
    Janet Hanseth
    Keymaster

Originally posted by Brandi Mc on tribe.net.Hi all,br/A pretty basic question I should know, but I need a bit of clarification as we recently received feedback that we dance too far apart.br/br/So, duet formation is Leader (1) is Left of centre and ahead, and Follower (2) is Right of centre and behind.br/Trio is 1 and 2 the same and 3 goes most back and along the centreline.br/br/My question is, are 1 and 2 in the exact same place for both duet and trio, or do 1 and 2 move slightly left and right respectively to make a larger window for 3.br/br/And just how much depth should there be in these formations?br/br/Hope this makes sense.br/TIA 🙂

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.with a duet, a good rule of thumb is that the follow is an arms length behind the lead. br/br/For a trio, that changes. First, the dancer farthest to the right, (I refer to that person as dancer 3) is not on the same plane as the leader, she is slightly behind. if you were to look at the trio from the side, that person would be on the center line. If that dancer were on the same line as the leader, shed be forced to turn her head to see the lead. If she is a step or two back and angled, she doesnt have to do that. Another reason its really important for the lead dancer to be in performance angle, too.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Brandi Mc on tribe.net.I think we are not talking about the same position b/c I number them differently.br/br/Duetbr/ 1br/ 2br/br/Triobr/ 1br/ 2br/ 3br/br/Are 1 and 2 in the exact same place for a duet and for a trio, or would 1 and 2 move slightly left and right respectively to make a larger window for 3?br/1br/ 2br/ 3br/br/Do the diagrams help clarify my question?br/Thanks

Anonymous

Originally posted by Brandi Mc on tribe.net.argh, I should have previewed 1st, the spacing I did, did not show upbr/I dont know how to make it show up.br/br/Anyway, I identify Leader as 1, the right follower as 2, and the back follower as 3.br/I understand they do not go on the same plane for sight lines, they need to be in dance angle, etc.br/br/For what I identify as positions 1 and 2 in the trio, do they stand in the exact same spot as if they were in a duet or do they have to make a larger window for the back dancer?br/So if I were to mark out the positions on the floor, do the front-most dancers use the same marks.br/br/Thank you. 🙂

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.No, I understand how you are identifying positions. I do identify them differently. There seems to be a couple different ways people are identifying them. The way I do it is that pos. 1 is the leader. Pos. 2 is behind the leader, to the right, same pos for either duet or trio. Pos 3 is the person farthest to the right. br/I clarified the positioning of the farthest right person in a trio, because I think I misunderstood what you were saying regarding where 2 and 3 are in relation to each other. br/br/ But to answer your question, in a trio the first 2 positions would widen a bit to make room for the third.Like I said, in a duet, a good rule is that the follower is an arms length behind the leader, the followers left shoulder lined up with the leaders right shoulder. If you add a third person, that positioning doesnt leave enough room, therefore, the follow position in a duet would shift to accomodate a third person. I hope that makes more sense. I dont think it matters quite as much if the trio is deeper, ie., extended more toward the back, but you wouldnt want the person furthest to the right to be too far to the right, which often happens. hope that clarifies things more. And you wouldnt want it to deepen *too* much. Thing is, you want to remain cohesive, and if you spread too far apart it can be hard to tell you are dancing together, plus its harder to maintain your connection.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Brandi Mc on tribe.net.Thanks, Wendy. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.