DVDs different than teaching

This topic contains 14 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Janet Hanseth Janet Hanseth 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Janet Hanseth
    Janet Hanseth
    Keymaster

Originally posted by Stephanie on tribe.net.One of my students brought to my attention that the barrel turn as taught in the DVD does not "read across the ceiling" as some of us have been taught in workshops, and in fact it turns quite quickly when you watch it on the DVD.br/br/Is the "read across the ceiling" something that came after the DVD was made? My student was quite surprised I would be teaching it different the the DVD.br/br/Also, Arabic hip twist. Carolena doesnt talk about the hand floreos on the DVD. Are hands "still and palms to the front" on the first Arabic and then floreo on the second or the other way around?

Anonymous

Originally posted by Sandi on tribe.net.There are a lot of nuances that get taught in workshops that arent on the dvds. The dvd scripts are written to explain the movement with the least amount of verbage. So, use what you know from the workshops. The "reading across the ceiling" idea is just a visual to show the path of the head.br/br/For the Arabic Hiptwist, there is one hand floreo for the whole 4 counts. The "palms to the front" is part of the floreo. Its the "turning the bottle over" motion that cause the palms to face out.

Anonymous

Originally posted by SOOZ on tribe.net.Well said Sandi! Alot of times, Im almost "fighting" with my students over how to do a move and trying to school them on nuances, flair, dialects, subtleties, arm lengths, different handsizes, so many things that make each of us so unique yet able to synch up with eachother. I have been fortunate to observe General Skills once a year since 2007 so I love the refresher course and will admit my mistakes and bring it to class and correct. No harm, no foul. I had a student say to another student "i like the way you do the move better (than me!)" It cracked me up....i just let her have that moment of ....whatever. Thanks again Sandi!

Anonymous

Originally posted by Valizan on tribe.net.Ahhh nuance!br/br/I am constantly telling my students: Here is the basic move... and here is the nuance that goes with it. br/br/And I get people who seem to think it is fun to challenge me by saying "Well... on the video they do THIS, like this... "br/br/Yes they do. AND WHEN THEY TAUGHT IT TO ME IN PERSON, they showed me how to it like this. If you prefer to learn from the video, then I cant help you. br/br/And like you, Sooz, when I learn something new, I admit it and share. Six months ago, I realized there was a floreo on the Arabic with hip twist. Three weeks ago, I realized it was an outward floreo. And I explained that to my students. I tell them, this is why my learning continues.

Anonymous

Originally posted by *** Diana Lee ** on tribe.net.OMG !!! this also happened to me.br/ I am glad that this was brought up. I am not teaching officially yet because I just got back from the TT, but one of my fellow dancers ask me about the hip circle when I told her she question me saying it was different in the video, and said to me “ well maybe we should see the videos in case we have doubts” and just like you Valdizan my response was “well I don’t have doubts because WHEN THEY TAUGHT IT TO ME IN PERSON, they showed me how to. I thought I was being rude ;-/ but I guess I was not.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.I love that they asked YOU, then questioned you! If you already know it better than me (or so you think) why are you asking?

Anonymous

Originally posted by Valizan on tribe.net.I probably was being rude Diana, but then, so were they. Difference is, I dont care. ::shrugs::

Anonymous

Originally posted by Valizan on tribe.net.Gah, thought of something else.br/br/When people see things on video, they dont have the benefit of seeing it in 3-D. You cant see angles or the small nuances of movement.

Anonymous

Originally posted by *** Diana Lee ** on tribe.net.I know Wendy I feelt like also tellig her just what you said, together with other things I had in my mind. ¯(©¿©)/¯. I tend to say just what I think but this time I controlled my self ✖‿✖ lolbr/br/And Valdzan not that I thought YOU were being rude, not at all/ thats why Iam happy you told us about your experience, It is the part when I said: "I dont have any doubts" , that is what got me thinking of my response since she is a fellow dancer, but then again, you confirm me that I was not, because I DONT have any doubts about the step and I thank you for that (¬‿¬)

Anonymous

Originally posted by Lucy on tribe.net.Please can you clarify the floreo? This is something that comes up a lot with my students. I have been teaching it that hands descend from overhead in Arabic, perform a basic Arabic step to the front then you start the hand floreo by turning the hands over as you turn the body to the right... really hope that is right! Please can someone explain the formal hands on this move? Thanks 🙂

Anonymous

Originally posted by Christine (Akula Tribal) Tillett on tribe.net."Six months ago, I realized there was a floreo on the Arabic with hip twist. Three weeks ago, I realized it was an outward floreo." Valizanbr/br/Please excuse me if Ive picked this up wrong at a late stage, but Im confused because Im doing this as one continual 4-count floreo (as Sandi said) but inwards not outwards Rob?... 😕

Anonymous

Originally posted by Sandi on tribe.net.We are probably looking at different parts of the floreo and seeing "inward" and "outward" in different parts. My "inward" refers to turning the bottle over towards our center, or, the backs of the wrists turning inward. br/br/Maybe Rob is looking at the palms facing outward?

Anonymous

Originally posted by Christine (Akula Tribal) Tillett on tribe.net.Thats clearer and yes I see what you mean Sandi thank you! After the inward wrists turned over as the palms come forward there is sort of an outward movement as the hands return to nuetral but its not a turn wrists bent outwards as in part 2 of the wrap around turn

Anonymous

Originally posted by Sandi on tribe.net.Right. The floreo for the first part of the Wrap Around Turn, I would consider inward or regular. The floreo in the second part is outward or reverse.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Valizan on tribe.net."Maybe Rob is looking at the palms facing outward?"br/br/Yes!br/br/I wasnt counting the moment the arm is plunging down or coming back from "four". I was looking at the hands already on the horizontal (right after turning the bottle over) and counting that as one. br/br/Good, so I can say this is an inward! Yay!br/br/Would the same thing be said for the Reverse Turn when the right hand is by the hip? The bottle is turned during the arm plunging, so it is an inward?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.