Egyptian into Sevillana

This topic contains 19 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi all,Is it ok to do a few Egyptians before cueing the Sevillana, or should the Sevillana be done straight away?

Anonymous

Good question!  As we get use to this move in practice, I have the hardest time catching it.  Maybe it's because the leaders are doing regular egyptian first, and then maybe I get comfortable and don't think it's coming. OR maybe it's just still so new for us. Looking forward to the answer!

Anonymous

I've seen it done with some Egyptians first, but so far my troupe is keeping it a move to itself until we are comfortable enough with it.  It has been such a challenge to catch from an Egyptian because we get in our Egyptian groove and are used to the regular variations.

Anonymous

I think it's a matter of getting used to looking for cues within the Egyptian, in general.  We are now training ourselves to see cues for 1/2 turns, full turns, triples and Sevillanas, when it was half that number before Vol. 9.  Just keep drilling!  🙂

Anonymous

on the Egyptian thread – is the Triple Egyptian cued with head turn to the left?

Anonymous

Nope, to the right.

Anonymous

I think a head turn to the left cues a quite different variation, done in a diagonal formation. 😉

Anonymous

As far as I know, we don't have any cues for Egyptian with head turns to the left.  Maybe a different style of improv bellydance.

Anonymous

I think it's a matter of getting used to looking for cues within the Egyptian, in general.  We are now training ourselves to see cues for 1/2 turns, full turns, triples and Sevillanas, when it was half that number before Vol. 9.  Just keep drilling!  🙂

Drilling this specifically is a great idea.  We use all of these and easily see all the cues except the Sevillanas.  It takes a strong/decisive cue to see this one in time and not feel like I'm playing catch up.

Anonymous

As far as I know, we don't have any cues for Egyptian with head turns to the left.  Maybe a different style of improv bellydance.

I think I've seen Tamarind Tribal do it in performances once or twice, so I guess it may be a troupe-specific variation.

Anonymous

For the Egyptina Sevilliana, do the hands plunge down to the left hip on count 4 or count 5 to cue the turn?Janine

Anonymous

My understanding is that left foot steps back on 4 with body angling toward left & hands arrive at left hip on 5.  well the left hand arrives at back left hip a moment before right hand arrives at front left hip. Does that sound right?

Anonymous

When doing Egyptian Sevillana in a duet facing your partner, should one Sevillana be done in place prior to passing, or should one go straight into trading places?

Anonymous

I think either would work. But if you're intending to pass- on 6 - R hand opens out to right hip height (as if to wrap around yr partner's L hip) rather than lifting to 'overhead' right if dancing a sevillana fàcing. How would the Eye contact cue help here? thats what im curious about.

Anonymous

The hands start moving to the left hip on for, but hit on 5.I don't think you have to do one in place before passing.  It might be nice though.You would keep eye contact when passing, since you're moving front-to-front.  There's no "cue" with the eyes.  It's the movement of the body - either in place or moving toward your partner.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.