Egyptian Sevillana

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

So we are talking about this movement and have studied Flamenco videos of Sevillanas and are wondering how the name of this movement was arrived at as it doesn't seem to have any resemblance to the Flamenco movements. Can someone help so we better understand for ourselves and our teaching of the movement?  TIA!

Anonymous

Maybe Devi Mamak as the inventor of the movement could shed some light there?She is really sweet and always helpful to answer questions.

Anonymous

The Egyptian Sevillana was around long before Devi's beautiful full turn version.  I first learned it when I was in FCBD and it was a “troupe only” move, not taught in class.  I believe that it was a Rina invention, but this I heard/inferred from conversations with Karen and Nadia (Rina had already left the troupe when I was brought in).  It originally was a 1/2 turn and you may see me and my troupe doing it the old school way.  I think Karen and Rina do the move in a performance in Salt Lake, maybe 1998.  Only on VHS as far as I know but you know the show....the one where Carolena does that epic solo with arms, belly rolls to Abadou (guh! love that one!)-Colette

Anonymous

That's interesting, Colette. I learned it from Saiidi, formerly Second Skin, I think, and they said they'd also learned it from Rina, but that it was a partners-only move, as in duets.  Do you remember learning it that way, and do you have a link to your troupe doing it?  Would love to see if it's the way I learned it from Caryn Oka and Suzanne Scott. 

Anonymous

I'm sorry to ask, but are we supposed to cue the Sevillana on the count of one or three, right before the arms come down?

Anonymous

Natalia, it is cued on one  🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Technique’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.