Eye contact cue in Wrap Around Turn partner pass

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

The Wrap Around Turn partner pass is something I've recently started working with again (years after originally learning it in a workshop), and there's one particular thing that I found I struggle with: what exactly do I have to do to tell my dance partner that I intend to make the Turn a partner pass instead of just turning in place? Should I break off direct eye contact and look instead into the direction in that I intend to travel, like in other partner passes?

Anonymous

In wrap turn partner pass, you are faced away from each other, so you don't really have the eye contact to use.  You are looking over the left shoulder so that your arms can stay together and so that you turn at the same time.  I don't know if this is sanctioned, but in my troupe, if you are facing in a duet, and you want to do wrap turn, you stay the same distance apart.  If you want to do wrap turn and pass each other on the spins, you would step a little closer to the person in the first gesture, before facing away.  The stepping closer for us is what signals our intent similar to the chico-four corners passing. 

Anonymous

Thank you Ursel for this question. I have the same problem. On the DVD Carolena sais the que is to look in the direction you want to turn to. But in this situation you  stand back to back an look over your left shoulder. You do this if you turn on place or do the passing. So what is the difference to que the passing?

Anonymous

As far as I know, the knowledge comes from seeing one of you disappear from view while looking over your shoulder.  If one of us steps into the flourishes to pass, we'll see that movement in our peripheral vision.  At least, that is the information I'm looking for.

Anonymous

Ah, thank you Carrie and Sandi! 😀I'm gonna try these things out at the next opportunity. 🙂

Anonymous

Thank you, we will try it!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.