Flock of birds?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Originally posted by Annabella on tribe.net.Can someone please tell me what is the "flock of birds" which is mentioned on the GSI list of moves?br/br/thanks, Annabella

Anonymous

Originally posted by Alicia on tribe.net.Someone more experienced is going to give you a better explanation but... its not a move its a way of moving. So when you turn, you take your timing from the people you dance with so that you all end up turning in unison. If I am leading, as I turn anti-clockwise, soon there will be someone to my left who I can see, but she cant see me any more, so I take my timing from her. Then we will both take our timing from someone else as we can see her and she cant see us.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.Flock of birds is referring to when a formation is turning, each dancer wants to match the timing of the others in the formation, so that all dancers are turning at the same rate, and it is synced enough that people might think the dance is choreographed. Similar to a flock of birds or school of fish when they move as one unit-they all change direction at the same time.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Jennifer on tribe.net.Just to add to what the others said, its for turning moves that dont have a specific number of counts to complete. For example, the Turkish shimmy on a quarter turn has a specified number of counts to complete the turn (four) but if you were to turn while doing the Arabic step, the group can make the turn as fast or slow as they need to, depending on the music -- this is where the Flock of Birds turning method comes into play.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Bonnie Margay Burke on tribe.net.Also, flock of birds falls into the basic rule of lead changes:br/br/When I cannot see anyone (during a turn), I am in the lead. br/br/Therefore, if my timing is slower or faster than yours, you switch to my tempo. br/br/As soon as I can see someone else, they are in the lead. If their timing is different than mine, I switch to their tempo.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Annabella on tribe.net.Thank you everyone.br/br/That is exactly what I thought it was... but needed to make sure, just in case!br/br/Thanks, Annabella.br/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘ATS®’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.