Floreo transitions

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I find it awkward to transition between Reverse Taxeem with Reverse Floreos and Ribcage Rotation (or Body Wave for that matter) with normal floreos. It's the directional change of the floreos that's the awkward/abrupt part. Is this just my lack of practice, or should we avoid using these moves back to back, rather like we avoid using Rev. Taxeem and regular Taxeem back to back? Thanks for help!

Anonymous

I'm sure some nice lady from FC will chime in, but if in the meanwhile you'd want my 2 cents, I don't think you need to avoid to use Maya with reverse Floreo back to back with another move that has regular Floreo, I'd just try to change the direction of the Floreo with no rush, avoiding any abrupt change of direction or of speed. Transitions are such an important side of this style that I always feel like practicing them more. It does help. Your body eventually will find its own way of transitioning gracefully, if you allow it to play with the stuff long enough.If it can be of any help, I notice that when I'm about to transition from a Maya with reverse Floreo to Ribcage Rotation, on the last Maya I start the outward arch of the wrists as the right hip is active as usual, but then when the left hip finishes the second half of the Maya, I don't turn the hands completely ending with the top of the wrists toward the center of the body and palms outside (as in preparation of a new reverse Floreo), instead I simply let the hands flow in a "neutral" pose. From there should feel fine to go seamlessly into to regular Floreo.

Anonymous

A good rule of thumb for any transition is to come to center first before starting the next move.  This doesn't mean you have to pause at center, but at least pass through it while moving into the next movement.

Anonymous

Thanks, Erika, for the suggestions, and Sandi for the general rule about centering. Sandi, I take it that means you would go ahead and use those moves together– that transitioning from reverse to regular floreos is fine? Thanks again, ladies!

Anonymous

I don't find it to be a problem.  Just takes practice and completion of each movement.  The thing I'd be clear on is the isolation between going from a hip movement to a chest movement and vice versa, since the arms are staying in the same place and doing a similar movement and both are fairly small/quiet.

Anonymous

Thanks, Sandi! I'll add this transition to my (huge and ever-growing) practice list. You are such an elegant dancer, and so intelligent about it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.