FLOW Classes

This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello Everyone!I've been reading about the FLOW classes Carolena and others have been doing and decided to give it a try.  Wow!  Did an hour of Classic Flow and an hour of Modern Flow.  I now understand the bliss references!  Will definitely be doing these again.Since I have a number of new Level 3's and Modern is such a large vocabulary format, I chose to focus the Flow on certain movements.  We did the Volume 7 moves, fast and slow, in that hour.  It was quite challenging for the fully versed Level 3's and very beneficial for the newbies.I'm curious as to how others have been organizing their Flow classes?  And to those who have been running Flow classes for some time, have you noticed a difference in your dancers?  Less brain freeze, etc?Thank you for your time and thoughts!

Anonymous

Jen,In just a few days, Carolena will be publishing the guidelines for the Flow classes with tips for instructors on how she wants them to be taught. She has trademarked the Dancing in Flow (TM) and will be letting everyone "officially" know about that as well.Thanks for starting the conversation and we will be sharing the information really soon.  I am in San Fran right now and it is on our "agenda" for the weekend!Terri

Anonymous

I'm looking forward to reading the guidelines and getting some tips as well. 

Anonymous

Here they are- straight from Carolena!!!!Dancing in Flow ™ Dancing in Flow™ was created by Carolena Nericcio-Bohlman with the class format of “all dance, no talk.”  Since designing this class, other ATS® instructors have also begun to offer similar classes.  These guidelines will help to define the class and suggest ways for each teacher to structure and prepare for the class.  Please incorporate them in your own Dancing in Flow ™ classes.During the class, there will be no verbal communication.  The teacher will not explain the movements, give feedback to students or comment on what she is teaching.  The only exception to this is when the teacher initially greets the class, explaining what will happen and suggesting that the participants just follow the movements and enjoy without worrying about whether they are doing the movements correctly.Dancing in Flow ™ is a one hour class divided into 4 fifteen minute segments with a quiet water break every 15 min. During the first fifteen minutes of class, the brain will chatter as the students become used to dancing continuously. During the second fifteen minutes, the brain will begin to relax.  During the third period of dance, the brain will finally decide to take a vacation to allow the body to enjoy moving.  Finally, during the last fifteen minutes, you will go on auto-pilot into pure bliss.  Maintain the silence at the end of the class to allow the students to leave in this meditative state.As an instructor, there are only a few things that you need to do to prep for class.  Create a 1 hour playlist alternating between slow and fast songs.  Choose relatively short songs so that one song doesn’t go on for too long.  Make sure to choose songs with which you are familiar and comfortable.  When you are teaching, remember that you are talking exclusively with your body, not using words.  So, you must be really clear in your cues and movements so that the class can follow you. 

Anonymous

Thanks for clarifying, Terri!I have been giving the break after 30 minutes with a quiet 30-60 second break. However, my students are conditioned to dance longer so their technique looks better for shorter sets. I'll have to try every 15 minutes- I'm sure they will appreciate more breaks!  😀

Anonymous

This is great, thank you!!

Anonymous

Thank you, Terri, and Carolena for sharing!

Anonymous

Is it just one teacher leading for the entire class?

Anonymous

Fantastic! I've been wondering about this lately. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous

My regular classes are 1.5 hours.  Can this format be adapted to 1.5 hours instead of just 1 hour?  I have been doing a variation of the "Flow" style class for a while but have called them "Drill classes" where we use the 1.5 hours of class time to just lead them in dance, mainly for muscle memory and stamina - no instruction or talking - to a set list that alternates fast and slow songs.  Students take breaks as they need them but I keep that dancing going for the full time.  We have a warm up at the beginning and a cool down at the end.  This is usually at the end of my Level 2 and mid way through and at the end of my Level 3 sessions.  Can I keep this format or do I need to change it to the "Flow" classes as Carolena designed?  Thanks in advance for the clarity. 

Anonymous

Thank you for the guidelines!  Are the Flow classes the entire vocabulary every time or is it done in levels?

Anonymous

Jen,Entire vocabulary but with this caveat.  Remember that the idea is for the students to be able to get lost in the movement.  If you are dancing level 3 moves with level 1 students, then they might become stressed and not be able to "flow!"  Terri

Anonymous

Thanks, Terri, I really appreciate your time!  Yes, that is my concern.  I don't have a huge Level 3 base of students as of now, still building.  So I did a Classic Flow class as well as a Modern Flow class.  Everyone felt comfy and really enjoyed them!  It was my first time teaching them and I believe I did justice to the guidelines – no one spoke except for the initial intro, the music was continuous for the whole hour, and I did 3 'official' breaks.  4 makes way more sense.

Anonymous

Thank you Terri!This is very helpful.

Anonymous

Thanks for sharing this with us Carolena and Terri.  I love this concept and I will definitely give it a go

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.