Footwork in Arabic Orbit

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

There seems to be some variation in the footwork when traveling backwards in A. orbit.  The question came up when a dancer confessed that she felt wobbly and unstable when moving the Arabic backwards.  When I analyzed my technique, I found that I am stepping back with my right foot.  When observing two of our most respected FCBD teachers, we see one stepping back with the left foot, and the other stepping back with the right.  I am going to guess that it doesn't much matter, as long as a dancer preserves the orbiting relationship and the performance position, and maintains the Arabic while completing the move.  How do the rest of you teach it, and do you have any tips to help this dancer feel more stable?

Anonymous

If you are traveling backwards, you are the pivot point.  Which means that really, you don't have to travel at all, but do the Arabic in a pivot to the left at a slow rate so that the follower can maintain an Arabic in the orbit position.  I sometimes make a small backwards circle to help the follower out, if needed, but it isn't generally necessary.  It is a tricky move, so it takes some practice.As far as footwork goes, I'd say to keep striving for the Arabic footwork (right in front of left) as much as possible.  The right foot behind might be happening because of the pace of the pivot and possible balance issues.  But since the focus is above, the feet are not as noticeable.  As long as both are ready to go into another move on the right foot, it's all good.

Anonymous

Oh my goodness.  I thought the pivot point was between the two people.

Anonymous

I would say that the pivot point is btwn the two dancers and that the lead dancer (who is stepping backwards) treads on the right and steps back with the left. I suspect it doesn't really matter as long as the upper bodies maintain the grace of the step.

Anonymous

Up to now I taught that the pivot point is between the dancers, and that when you travel back you should still put the weight on the right foot on uneven counts and the weight on the left foot on even counts, with the left foot placed behind the right. I'm a little esitant of starting to teach them that it doesn't really matter till the upper body is graceful, because sometimes the student idea of what is graceful enough can be different than mine and because, even if it might feel easier at first to them, I always find that students that start going backward on the left foot look sort of stiff. I wonder if it would be ok for me to keep teaching to keep stepping on right foot on one, without necessarily mention that you could do otherwise.

Anonymous

You are always stepping with the right foot on “1”.  That doesn't change.  But when you step backwards with the Arabic, the left foot steps back on “2” and the right meets it on “1”.  The pivot point is focused more on the leader, not equally between the two people.  The leader is not traveling the same distance in the backward circle as the follower is going forward, which is why we always tell the leader not to pivot so fast (so that the follower can keep up).  One person is always “orbiting” the other.

Anonymous

All right, thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.