Forum thoughts

This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi everyone,We would love your feedback on the FCBD® Forum.  What do you like?  What don't you like?  Is there a tool that would meet your needs better?  Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!I know that much of the SS discussions occur on Facebook.  Does that work better for people?  Is it more accessible?  Thanks.  Terri Allred

Anonymous

I really like this forum.  It's easy to find topics and I think it's a great resource.  I do understand that it's underused because of Facebook's popularity.  However, I feel more comfortable posting issues and questions here in a professional format and I understand that the vetting process here is good.  I also like that there are options for the forums general ATS® topics, GS, and Sister Studios.  I like that as well. I think if it were used more then Sister Studios could more easily connect to dancers in the ATS®/Gen Skills forum section and vice versa.

Anonymous

Yahooo! I'm finally on the sister studio forum. Thank You ! Perhaps I will use it more now that I am here. 🙂 No wonder I was having trouble. derp

Anonymous

Please pardon my technological handicap, but is there a way to receive notifications on Facebook or email for this?  Thank you so much for answering!Zahara

Anonymous

I think this forum has a great structure, and I love the new cheerful look! I don't have specific suggestions, but I'll think about it.People in general seem to spend a lot of time on FB. It has lots of visual stimuli, often you see pictures and videos posted in a thread. It also has the charm of something "live", in the sense that comments come quick and abundant, and "likes" feel gratifying. So FB has this relaxed, chatty atmosphere, while the forum is more official. A forum is a place of words rather than images. A much more static system. Requires patience, in the sense that usually you don't get an instant reaction to your post. The forum to me is a place where you take your time to think and write, and you know a post can be long if you need it to be. Where more academic or more serious topics can be addressed better, tapping directly from the source of ATS knowledge. The FB group seems a good place for socializing and chatting, while the forum is more about learning and sharing, coming up with direct questions and focusing more on the art of ATS itself. Beside being our precious archive, of course.

Anonymous

I thought of a suggestion: I'd love if we could have assignments again, from time to time. In the past I found it super useful and very, very interesting. It might invite some attention too. That's something I'd like to have in the forum 🙂

Anonymous

Thanks so much for your suggestions!  Erika, could you clarify what you mean by assignments?  I am not sure I understand.  Thanks!  Terri

Anonymous

Terry, “assignments” were theoretical exercises that the FC ladies thought up for us Sister Studios every now and then through the forum. For example, they gave us a certain imaginary setting with certain characteristics, like a Moroccan restaurant, carpets, tables and people eating, restricted space, a little smoky. You have four dancers. The assignment would have been to come up with a twelve minutes set, keeping in mind this information. We would reply with our versions of what a good set would be, and then get feedback on our thoughts. It was great to benefit from the teachers view on our way of thinking, and it was seriously interesting to read other dancers' replies, and see how we can come up with very different choices to solve the same problem. It was great to get the FC ladies' feedback, plus assignments gave us lots of good ideas and input from the other SS, like new music, costuming and such. These exercises also helped to anticipate possible future scenarios and have already a good idea on what you could do about it.Another kind of assignment has been this: a FC lady would post a video of one of their performances and we were asked to observe it closely and try to spot where there was a little hiccup, like a cue that wasn't perfectly clear, or some other kind of subtle imperfection. Or we would be asked to find a point in the performance where something could have gone in a different route, and the answer could have been that the music had some ambiguous part where you could either decide to dance slow or dance fast, for example. They weren't "Right or Wrong" tests; usually it was open answers, some feedback on our thoughts, and interesting conversation with the others. 🙂

Anonymous

Erika, I really like this idea! I would love to see a section for this on the forum.

Anonymous

I, too, treasure the forum and would hate to see it moved completely to FaceBook. The Sibling Studios page on FB is great for general, more social/professional discussions and for the introduction of new SS (we can all say “Welcome!” and FB-friend the newbies). But this FCBD forum is invaluable for more specific, technical questions. As for structuring the forum community, I confess I've never quite understood the division into ATS(r), GS/TT, and SS groups. This division just seems to produce a lot of duplication of posts/topics and to exclude potential participants from two of the groups for no evident reason. If SS need a private forum, we have that on FB.  Terri, the idea you suggested on FB of re-structuring the forum groups according to general topics seems to me a good one. It could make topic-searching easier, too.

Anonymous

And Erika, I love your idea about “assignments.” I actually don't recall those discussions. Do you remember when and where they happened? Was it on Tribe.net?

Anonymous

Nancy, maybe it happened also on Tribe.net, but I think it started on this forum. It's only happened a few times.

Anonymous

I agree with Nancy about the unclear divisions between forum groups. I like that we have a separate SS page…but I don't think it should be used for basic move clarifications etc., things that everyone can benefit from. I think it should be for, you know, SS things, or things you want to talk about within the smaller group for some reason. A more formal, organized form of the Facebook group. I would like to see it pared down to more focused and specific discussions and see more of the general concerns and clarifications shared with the entirety of the forum.

Anonymous

Thank you so much everyone for your great suggestions (here and on Facebook!)As you can see, we have embedded the Forum onto the website, added a beautiful photo background, and changed the color to reflect the traditional FCBD® earthy tones!We will be adding discussion groups based on topics and will be keeping the private Sister Studio group. Stay tuned for more improvements!Terri

Anonymous

Just a note on why there are Sister Studio, GS/TT and ATS boards here, even with redundant discussions.  They are direct archives from Tribe.net.  It was a way for the Sister Studios to have private discussions with themselves only.  GS/TT was for those who went through the training, but did not become SS.  And of course, the ATS board is for general questions on ATS. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.