Girls’ Night Out type events

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello –Has anyone here done girls' night out type parties/events? I was recently contacted by a group of women who wanted to come to one night of my classes. The class that's running right now really isn't drop-in friendly, but I was thinking about seeing if they'd want to do a couple hour lesson with a little demo, similar to girls' night out events I've seen other studios hold in the area. Thought I'd check here and see if anyone has tried this, and whether it ended up being worth doing. Interested in lessons learned, stuff that worked, stuff that didn't, really anything. Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

I have done one that was very successful.  It was at their own clubhouse and I brought a lot of hip scarfs so all could get into the swing of things.  It seemed like a good way to intoduce a very different type of dance then they were use to and we had a lot of fun doin it. -Janine

Anonymous

I actually do several a month.  I make a lot more money in one hour than my regular teaching brings in.  I tailor the party to the needs of the client.  For example, if it is for a bridal shower, I will often bring interesting trivia about women preparing to get married in other countries.  If it is for a bachelorette party, I often bring little prizes that folks can win for best shimmy, less likely to be a professional belly dancer (folks actually love this one as it allows them to laugh at themselves).  I usually offer performance, mini-lesson, ice breakers, etc.  Sometimes, I will send an abreviated list of dance names and folks will pick a name for the evening.  I always explain where my dance name, Sadiya, comes from and what it means.  I find that when the organizer wants it to be a "surprise" that we are having a belly dance lesson, that is less successful than when everyone knows ahead of time.  Sometimes, the bride to be/birthday girl/etc is not happy about having a belly dance lesson for her party.  They are always happy by the time we finish, but in my experience it is best for the guest of honor to know what is happening.Make sure you check out the party rates for other types of parties in your area.  I charge $150/hr for the basic party and then other elements are added a-la-carte.  However, I live in MN.  I charged more in NC when I lived there.  Good luck and have fun!!

Anonymous

I have done these as well, and really enjoy doing them. I bring hip scarves, too, and go through moves pretty quickly and string them together. Depending on the size of the space, we often dance the whole time facing in, in a circle. There is no emphasis on technique – they are always just giggly (often there is wine involved) and excited to be dancing with each other and wearing hip scarves. I usually do a 3-4 minute performance at the end, too.

Anonymous

Thanks, all!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.