Group Decision-Making!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

OK one more query!  Our troupe has been together for about five years – some original members, some have left, some new.  Our costume has evolved and overall I am quite happy with it.  However: I feel it is important to continue to add new components, however small, just for the sake of continuing to evolve as a group and remain of interest to the community.  Some troupe members, at each new suggestion, are intent on “no” – it's too expensive, it doesn't flatter my body type, I don't like the color, etc.  Any thoughts on how to get over this hurdle?  I don't want to be stuck in neutral due to the challenges of group decision-making!

Anonymous

There's no reason to always match.  The beauty of ATS® is each person can have different flavors while wearing the same basic elements (full skirt, choli and pantaloons). 

Anonymous

I definitely agree with Sandi here, we all have our own personalities, genetic heritage etc so one style, colour etc is not going to look good on everyone. We usually have a bit of a theme going on depending on the style of music and leave it up to troupe members to work with that, the ideas that come up are truly wonderful and unique to each dancer yet remaining in a theme. I make a lot of costume stuff so if I want everyone to have a choli for example the same or recently all wear a half sari over our skirts then I purchase and make the item, if the dancer wants to then buy that from me they would have the option, if not it would go in the troupe wardrobe or be sold. Dancing on a budget is a challenge so I spend a lot of time looking for 'nice bits of fabric' (I think that will be on my gravestone! ” Here Patsy lies having spent a life looking for nice bits of fabric”)lol In ATS there are lots of looks to go for, the Flamenco, Indian, North African, Eastern or we like to bring out the "Country strumpet" now and again as it suits some music and our fair English rose skins. I love costume creating it's such fun and doesn't have to cost a bomb.

Anonymous

Love the idea of your gravestone! Mine will say “why did she have so much fabric when she couldn't even sew?”  😉I agree with Sandi and Patsy, it's nice to have our individual quirks celebrated in our costuming! And I love the last rehearsal before a show where everyone brings in piles of costuming and mixes and matches until some sort of coherence emerges, even if it is just that we are all wearing cotton cholis, or that each of us wears flowers that call to the colours in the other dancers' skirts.

Anonymous

I think costume rules would work better if they were more general, like: solid-colour skirt, jaipur skirt, padma skirt, coin bra. What the colours are, and the shapes/decorations in the case of a bra, are up to each troupe member. Then you can create a cohesive look for a performance if you'd like (everyone wear their jaipur skirts and banjara or vintage cholis), but each member has the pieces for the theme that work best for them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘ATS®’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.