Hand position & technique

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Newbie here with a question about technique and proper hand position. I have been dancing ATS style for about three years now,  two of them with a group ladies. We live in a remote area that is 2-3 hours away from the nearest sister studio or FCBD GS certified instructors, so all of our practice and drills come exclusively from the FCBD video series and the drills on YouTube. The lack of an actual in class instructor can be a real challenge when we aren't sure about certain things, or we see slight variations in technique on the dvds and performance videos (which we watch religiously). The most common thing we run in to is hand positions, especially with Chico 4 Corners and the Egyptian. In the Vol 7 DVD, it looks like Carolena's right hand extends out nearly flat, or slightly palm out during the first &third corner, and her left hand extends more palm out during the second & fourth corner. However in the performance on the DVD & many other performances and drills, we notice it being performed with the back of the hand (right &left) facing out for all four corners, or sometimes alternating with the back of the hand out for first and third and palm facing out for second and fourth.The Egyptian is harder to explain, but we see it being performed with both palms always facing in, and with alternating palms facing in and palms facing out. None of us in our group seems to be able to agree and consistently follow the same technique and as a result, feel like we are not progressing forward.My question is, are different hand positions simply variations in technique that are all perfectly acceptable? Or is there a preferred/correct hand position that we should practicing toward? Our goal as a group is to eventually attend a FCBD workshop and take the General Skills class. However, (for myself anyway) the lack of actual in-class training makes it a slightly terrifying prospect! I don't want to be the student that everyone kind of rolls their eyes at because my technique is so terrible! Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks! 🙂

Anonymous

From what I understand ( and FCBD ladies correct me if I'm wrong)Is that there is no real strict way to keep your hands. They are not only reacting to the weight of the zils on your fingers, but they are usually moving so fast that the audience doesn't really see where they are positioned anyways.I would say however your hands and wrists are comfortable while dancing and playing zils is correct for you. Hope that helps.

Anonymous

I'd agree with Jesse here.  The hands do what is comfortable while playing zils.  In movements where our arms change position on each count, the hands will also shift depending on where the weight of the zils are.  We generally like to use gravity and momentum to our advantage, rather than trying to force a specific muscular execution with the fingers.So, for the Egyptian, you'll see the wrists rocking in and out because the weight of the zils want to stay centered in our hands.  Also, our focus is on pulling the elbows back on the 1 and 3, so whatever position our hands take with that action is what you see.  As is with the neutral positions.Small detail of the Chico, the hands (or fingers) don't go directly into the corners.  I would say it is the wrist area (including a little bit of the forearm) that hits the corners.  Again, while playing zils, the positioning of the hand (palm in/palm out) can change.  But no elbows or fingers into corners, though.  🙂

Anonymous

This is very helpful, thank you Jesse and Sandi! I was kind of going elbow to corners, so I'm going to pay close attention to that now. I really appreciate your feedback!

Anonymous

Jessica, let me tell you something unrelated to hand position: nobody is going to roll up their eyes at you at a GS because you don't do something perfectly. We go to GS  to learn and improve, and enjoy high quality teaching in a friendly envirorment. Go with confidence, you don't need to be already perfect.  🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘ATS®’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.