How did the Camel Walk get it’s name?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My L2 students this rotation thought it was a very funny name for this step!Can anyone shed any light on the history of the name?Many thanks!

Anonymous

I had asked Carolena about the name a few years ago.  She said that was the name of the move when she learned it.  I find it an interesting name too and would love to hear if there is any way of tracing the origins of the name.

Anonymous

I think the name stemmed from Masha… and it used to travel pretty far.

Anonymous

One of my students said that a better name would be “The Pot” meaning that the gestures look like you have a pot or basket on your head, bend your knee to pick something up with your right hand, and then place the item in the vessel without tipping your head.As for why it's called the Camel, I have no idea!Random Orientalism I would imagine.

Anonymous

Random Orientalism!! Ha ha yes I guess there's been a lot of that over the years. I do like the pot visualisation to remind students to keep their heads level.Cheers!

Anonymous

Great question!  I've always been puzzled because Camel Step in cabaret style is more like a backwards Arabic.  I always guessed it was something to do with creating an apex with your shape (arm going up, then down) like the hump of a camel.  That's what I always think of, anyway!  But the pot visualization is a nice one.

Anonymous

Someone should master up the courage to contact Masha and ask her. Any volunteers?  😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.