How much do you choreograph your formations / switching?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Janet Hanseth Janet Hanseth 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Janet Hanseth
    Janet Hanseth
    Keymaster

Originally posted by Charlottio on tribe.net.Im sure this question is like how long is a piece of string, but I would be interested to know how people prepare a set for 6 or 7 dancers...br/Do you always decide who is going to dance which song, or part of the song? And at what point the groups are going to shift?br/Or do you leave the beginning and end improvised with a set formation, say Duelling Duets, in the middle?br/How often do you have a completely improvised set, with it left completely to the flow as to who comes in and out and when?br/So Im not talking about choreographing the moves themselves, just the formation and no of dancers and switching the dancers between chorus and centre.br/Thanks so much!br/x

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.So, it usually goes something like this: Say there are 7 of us: "okay we have Hosanni Oo, FatChance, Fallahi and Anathema. Lets start with a trio to Hosanni Oo. Then how about starting with a duet to FatChance, bring in another duet for a dueling duet, end in a quartet? Then a power duet to Fallahi, and for Anathema, we could do a 1,2,3 pickup. " "Sounds good, so, who wants to dance to what?" We choose what we want to dance to, review it quickly, then go on. br/br/That is how FatChance generally does it, although we each have our own way of running a gig. br/br/We do work on knowing when is a good time to leave, if we are sharing songs. In gigs where we have a smaller group, say 3, we dont split the songs up, so each group dances to a whole song. We always have a game plan. We never completely wing it. br/br/Hope this helps! br/br/Wendy

Anonymous

Originally posted by Charlottio on tribe.net.Hi Wendybr/Sorry for late response... Yes - that helps billions!br/Erm, can I ask, whats a 1,2,3 pickup?br/Thanks so much!br/xx

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.123 pickup is starting a song with a solo, then bringing in a second dancer, the duet dances for awhile, then adds a third, etc.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Sandi on tribe.net.And many times well do a 2, 3, 4 pickup - duet, trio, quartet. :}

Anonymous

Originally posted by Charlottio on tribe.net.Ooo nice.br/Thanks ladies!

Anonymous

Originally posted by Lucy on tribe.net.Would this be considered ATS? Asking cos it includes a solo. I have arranged something like this for a performance at the weekend and lo, a post appears on the exact thing! Wonderful 😀 xxx

Anonymous

Originally posted by Sandi on tribe.net.Heres a thread that talks about solos, but I mainly wanted to point out Wendys response. It is just what I think Carolena would say for a question like this.br/br/a href=http://ats.tribe.net/thread/1583970c-fc74-47b4-a7af-75e2699397b8 title=ats.tribe.net/thread/1583...75e2699397b8ats.tribe.net/thread/1583...75e2699397b8/abr/br/If you go to the ATS tribe and do a search on "solo" there are other threads to read as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.