How to teach musicality?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Janet Hanseth Janet Hanseth 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Janet Hanseth
    Janet Hanseth
    Keymaster

Originally posted by Jennifer Kasper on tribe.net.I have several students that can execute the movements fine, but cant find/stay on the beat to save their lives. I have been struggling with how to teach something that I think is intuitive. I have had them count and clap to the beat, I have them count out loud while they are dancing, and I have even tried having them dance to a metronome. Any suggestions on teaching students to find/feel the beat of the music and how to especially how to find the 1?br/br/Thanks,br/Jenn

Anonymous

Originally posted by rhiannyn on tribe.net.ive been waiting for someone to respond, because i sometimes have the same problem arise.br/br/here are some thoughts, and some of the things ive been doing to try to make it become clearer:br/br/1. try to use the same couple of pieces of music during class, rather than a varietybr/2. encourage them to just listen to the music on their own, away from the studio, and trying to find the 1, and the phrasing in those couple of songs... then to bring it back to class to show you.br/3. youre probably already doing this one.... show them where it is, repeatedly, with a simple move like Pivot Bump, or Arabic... stand there tapping it out with your foot, zil, and counting it, gearing up for it and then BOOM on the 1 start the move. repeat. i really CLAP the zil on my right hand on the 1, and then go softer for the other beats.br/br/i hope some others join in here with other suggestions 🙂

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.Actually, If you could hold this thought until we get everyone migrated over to the new atsgstt forum on our own website, that would be great! Thanks!

Anonymous

Originally posted by rhiannyn on tribe.net.anything for you lot, luv, were happy to hold 😉

Anonymous

Originally posted by Alicia on tribe.net.Thats possibly the most exciting thing Ive heard this week! Is the exodus soon?

Anonymous

Originally posted by Maia on tribe.net.Will you be giving instructions on how to join this forum?

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.we will, as soon as its ready. We are in the process of downloading all of the threads from this tribe, the sister studio tribe, and the ATS tribe. As soon as its ready, well let EVERYONE know. Well post it everywhere.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Jennifer Kasper on tribe.net.NP, I will wait!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘ATS® GS/TT’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.