Is it a Turn or a Pivot?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Is the term 'pivot' different from the term 'turn' in ATS? I use the words interchangeably, but I may be incorrect in doing so.  Can theses terminologies be defined?  -Janine

Anonymous

They are interchangeable as far as I know, when you are referring to gradual pivot turns in the Bump family.  Arabic has a gradual turn but it's not a pivot turn.

Anonymous

Hi Janine, good question.  Please understand I'm no dance expert, but here are my two cents.  Almost all of our turns are done by pivoting.  The only ones that I can think of that don't include a pivot are:Water Potturns while in a circle to turn the wheel; or ASWAT, or TSWATK, that's all I can think of for now. 🙂

Anonymous

So if the bump family 'pivots', that must mean that one foot stays in place as the other pushes you around.  And if the Arabic 'turns' that must mean that we are stepping right-left-right-left.  Does that seem correct?-Janine

Anonymous

Hm. All pivots are turns, but not all turns in ATS are pivots. Turkish Shimmy half turn isn't pivotted, it is stepped, is it not?[Edited] I thought of something else to add to this after the fact.When turning stuff (because most things turn. If they don't turn, they usually ARE turns...) I think of whether they are stepped turns (Turkish Shimmy Half and Quarter turns, Arabic Hip Twist half turn with flourish... looked at it on Volume 7 today and Carolena steps that sucker) or pivotted turns (Egyptian, Doubleback, Reach and Sit, Torso Rotation, etc...)

Anonymous

Yes, what Rob said too.And yes, the Arabic 'turns', but is not a pivot turn.  Much like many many other moves which can be 'gradual turns', or 'turns' with specified placements. 

Anonymous

Oh wow, for some reason I've always equated the term 'pivot turn' to turns not having a set count (flock of birds) as opposed to relating that term to what the feet are doing. oops

Anonymous

Oh wow, for some reason I've always equated the term 'pivot turn' to turns not having a set count (flock of birds) as opposed to relating that term to what the feet are doing. oops

Hm. :: ponders:: When I turn 2up3down, I pivot and it is a set count. I think... :: gets up and dances in his living room ::

Anonymous

Pivots are not set in their counts, but you will find yourself counting in 4s and 8s.  This includes U2D3.  Turns are set in their steps and counts, like a flourish or half/quarter turns.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.