ISO language help for turning down a political demonstration gig

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Another one from me! Lots of public interaction at a fair = all the tricky situations come up at once.I am crafting an email response to a person who wants to hire me to dance at a demonstration outside a local workplace. There is a lot of pro/anti union strife in my city (and everywhere, I know) right now, and I do not want myself and/or my business to be publicized in the center of it. The person who wants to hire us isn't interested in our art, she just knows that more people would stop and listen to her protest message if there was a spectacle next to her. I know that getting paid to dance is really getting used in any context, but this would feel like the icky type of being used.I love events that are designed to raise awareness or money for local charities, but this protest would be an awful fit. Not to mention that one of my dance partners has a day job indirectly working for the employer being protested against.Does anyone have tried and true language that they've used to respectfully turn down this type of engagement? I've been told elsewhere that I don't owe anyone an explanation, but I guess I'd like to have one statement that I can use for situations that are absolutely no-go, like this. I don't want to make something up, like a date conflict, because that always leaves the door open to a change of plans, and there isn't even a date for this, she just wants any nice day between now and the end of May...My initial thought was something like this: 'My group is united by our dedication to our art form, not by our politics. For that reason, I don't think this would be a good fit for us.'Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Anonymous

I don't have any tried and true language.  I do agree with you that a direct approach with cordial wording would be good.  I wouldn't want to give an excuse and then get caught up in it later. 

Anonymous

You can also avoid the issue altogether:  “Thanks for your invitation. Unfortunately, we aren't available to perform at your event.  Best of luck.”That has the benefit of being a) true and b) unlikely to ruffle feathers should you make a different choice in the future.  It's probably the most professional way to turn down a gig like this, imo.

Anonymous

Thanks, both!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.