Kids and musicality

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Recently I've started teaching ATS to children. At the moment I'm teaching four girls, aged 7 to 11. Never having taught kids before this is an entirely new experience for me, but it's a fun one. I do feel my lack of experience though (to be honest: before I became a mom children were like an alien species to me …  :-[).For example, I've noticed that the younger girls are struggling with matching the fast steps to the rhythm of the music. They tend to rather match their steps to the melody instead. Could that be an age thing, that this particular sense of rhythm develops a little later in life?

Anonymous

Not in my experience, actually I've met  many young kids with a great sense of how to follow rhythm, and more than a few adults with no sense of rhythm whatsoever. Maybe you could  try to make them dance to songs that have no  melody, only percussions, so they'll get accustom to follow that kind of sound. After a while you might integrate with songs that do have a simple melody but that also have a very clear, strong and attractive beat. Working with kids can be demanding but you can also have lots of fun 🙂

Anonymous

Yes, I think I'm going to do that. And perhaps I can ask the teacher of the local drum circle for a little help.  🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.