Movement Dialect, clarification is needed

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello to everyone!I have read Carolena's post about Movement Dialect and I'm not sure I've got it clearly.Sometimes, when we prepare a performance piece we choreograph some complicated parts of the music, but this means only agreed breakdown of ATS movements and cues remain in place. So if someone will try to follow this choreography piece, they don't need en explanation. Is that also a Movement Dialect? Thank you!Have a nice day,Anita

Anonymous

Hi everyone,Dialect is "a particular form of a language that is peculiar to a specific region or social group."  In the context of ATS, the Movement Dialect is what is naturally occurring when troupes and groups come together utilizing their own creativity.  When new movements evolve during rehearsal, performance or just in the imaginations of the dancers, those movements often become codified in the language of the local troupe.  Carolena has been quite specific about the characteristics that are essential for ATS (TM) like lifted arms and posture, interaction between dancers, etc.  We are getting ready to post a video example on the FCBD web site from a NC dancer (Nandana- Dawn Ruckert) who presented a Movement Dialect step to Carolena during a recent visit to San Francisco.  Carolena provided feedback to her.  We will also be sharing that feedback.  The dancer went home and revised the Movement Dialect step to reflect Carolena's feedback.  You will also get to see the revised move.  So, we will be presenting the entire process.  I think this will help everyone understand more accurately the concept of Movement Dialect and how it is used in real life.All of that being said, many troupes do not ever create new movements or ideas.  They stay with Classic ATS and Modern ATS and never vary even into Volume 9 moves.  That is certainly great.  In fact, Carolena has often said that she would love it if that were the end of the conversation.However, it is the nature of some artistic folks to want to create.  Carolena is just suggesting that she recognizes that this is occurring and would love to be a part of that creation.  What a wonderful gift she is giving to our community!

Anonymous

Yes, choreography for a certain piece of music for a show is one thing but creating a different step or adapting an existing step/cue is something else. I certainly make this clear in my lessons that we all have to learn the universally known steps and cues so that we can dance with any other ATS dancer. As a performance troupe with my daughters we are usually dancing a fusion piece and are well known for being 'different' and have frequently been sneered at and judged quite viciously for daring to be different. It has nothing to do with 'daring' or challenging the whole ATS scenario and what Carolena has created, the technique to be learned in ATS is challenging enough to do properly and plenty for the average new dancer to cope with for quite a few years.  What is difficult to explain to people who have never done anything else except ATS or belly dance is that you can't just put your other dance experience away in a drawer and forget it. If I come up with some new moves with cues that actually work then I'll think about sharing them……………or not lol!

Anonymous

Patsy, I don't understand your response. Can you clarify?

Anonymous

which particular point of my response Carolena?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.