Music Lists-Sandi Balls Music

This topic contains 29 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I just returned from a wonderful 2 day seminar (ATS Attacks) with the amazing FCBD instructor Sandi Ball. Sandi sets up her music lists in an interesting manner. For example, her list of fast songs goes from “slowest” fasts tempo to “fastest” fast tempo. I am interested in what instructors use as their playlists for class music as opposed to performance music. Sandi generously said that she would be happy to share her lists and I thought others would be interested in this wealth of information also. So, Sandi, when you get a chance to see this message, I look forward to you sharing your playlists, and the rational of how you put them together, also what criteria do you use to distinguish your performance list from your instructional list. I also put this question out to other Sister Studios to share your instructional lists and performance lists. It seems that music is something we all seem to be on the look out for. I am pretty random with my music lists and I would like to personally establish a better system for it. Thank you all!

Anonymous

I set up my fast music in order of tempo as well.  And I integrate our performance music with the class music.  I love the idea of sharing playlists.  Is there a way to setup the playlists online to share?  I have seen the playlists that Carolena blogs but not sure how they are set up.

Anonymous

Wow, that is a great idea.  I just have a fast, slow and slow to fast playlist.  Thanks Janine (and Sandi). 

Anonymous

I would love it if Sandi would share her music playlists!Personally, I have separate playlists for fast, faster, and fastest. Within each playlist I can then order the songs by length. In class I like to be able to quickly choose a shorter or longer song to suit my time limits. For slow songs I have separate playlists for slow 1-4 minutes, slow 5-8 minutes, and dramatic slow.And a bunch of other playlists for "fast with slow intro," "mixed tempo," "zil drill," etc.

Anonymous

That is how I have my list separated too by slow, fast, faster, fastest, and mixed, but didn't think about the time element. Would you be willing to share the music from your lists? I know lists can get long, but perhaps 5 of your favorite songs that you are currently into now from the lists as follows: slow, fast, faster, fastest, and mixed? That may give this group a starting place to add to their current favorites in the categories. Thanks for your response!

Anonymous

Hello everyone!  Thanks, Janine, for inquiring about this.  I'm always looking for ways to be more efficient in everything, so when I started teaching, the main stressor was finding music to drill and dance to.  While I knew all the artists, albums and song names, I didn't want to have to be searching for it all every time I wanted a new piece of music.  Doing a little prep helped me a lot.  I thought about how I wanted the music flow to happen in my classes and arranged music to accommodate that.  So, rather than typing out every single song/artist/album/etc.  I've take screen shots of my iTunes playlists.  I would say 99% of my music comes from the FCBD® catalog at various points in my 16 year education with Carolena and some are not offered in the store/catalog anymore.Here are the series of screenshots that show my playlist names and then each playlist.  Some, I had to take more than one shot for each section so I will have to put up several posts to get them all up.The first playlist is BD DRILLS Fast and I don't think they are arranged in tempo order, but you'll notice that they are long in time, so I can breakdown a move and drill without having to adjust music.  Also, most of them are steady tempos all the way through.  I think one of them on there gets faster (besides the obvious Baladi Unplugged) that I keep forgetting to remove.The second playlist is BD DRILLS Slow.  These are arranged by album.  Sometimes I like the flow of keeping to one artist for the stretch, posture, moving meditation, and breakdown of slow moves.  These have little to no vocal or sharp instruments so I am not competing with the music while I am talking.The third playlist is BD FAST.  This one is arranged by tempo.  Probably not perfect, but close.  I sat there and tapped my leg for an hour or two getting this playlist arranged, so I have to be careful not to accidentally hit a tab that reorganizes it by name or album.  This tempo order has saved me so much time in finding a performance song for us as a group or individual groups to practice to.  It is also different from the "drills" playlist and the songs are those that we use in performance, so when I put a set together, I pull from this list.  They are also shorter.  Well, some are longer for the purpose of adding a tip song to the end of a set.The fourth playlist is BD SLOW.  This one is just in alphabetical order.  I usually know which slow songs I am looking for, so easier for me to find them in alpha order.The fifth playlist is BD SLOW-FAST.  This is for songs that either start slow and go fast or have a combo of slow-fast-slow or fast-slow-fast, etc.  I go to this playlist when I want students to work on musicality and to add variety to a set.I also have a BD SOLOS playlist, but I am not including that list as solos are very personal and you have to find your own voice in them.Ok, I hope this helps some of you.  It's really about knowing your own teaching style and what your needs are.  I love the idea of having a playlist sorting timing as well, but I think I've got enough to filter through as it is.  Also, peruse the music catalog on fcbd.com.  Years ago, Carolena went through the whole music catalog and made comments for each song on every cd we carried.  Some of them are still on the current website.  If you ever received and saved the hard copy catalog, you have a treasure: http://catalog.fcbd.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=67&zenid=3c1d96ab6a73f2d6d2a185ff7f6708c7

Anonymous

BD FAST 1, 2 & 3

Anonymous

BD SLOW 1, 2, 3, & 4.

Anonymous

BD SLOW-FAST 1 & 2.

Anonymous

Wow, thank you so much for sharing Sandi. This is great!

Anonymous

This is a wealth of information! Thanks you, Sandy, for graciously sharing it!

Anonymous

Oh my goodness Sandi, thank you so much!

Anonymous

Fantastic thread – I have separate playlists set up in the same way as some of you slow/fast/faster/fastest  and also mixed tempo and zils. I like the idea of ordering them by time so am off now to re-arrange

Anonymous

Thank you Sandi!!

Anonymous

Thank you so much for sharing, Sandi!  This is awesome! ;D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.