Naming our style

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi everyone, I need help with categorizing our dance style and would appreciate your views and suggestions. When I started my troupe, we were doing group impro that used FCBD® moves but the look was very different and there were some moves from other styles or teachers. We then used the label ITS. Since then we developed a lot and I brought the group back to ATS®, so I´d say we primarily are ATS® but because of our foundations, I decided to keep some of the moves that are outside the ATS® vocab but we like them and they nicely compliment the overall aesthetics. So now I´m caught in between two labels: ATS® dancers would say you´re ITS, fusion and Umnata impro dancers call us ATS® and in fact we´re neither. Since we are like 80% ATS® and since I now am able to dance Unmata ITS style as well, I feel calling ourselves ITS group is very much misleading. Unfortunately, we need some "label" so that we can tell our audience what we do. They´re not interested in some long explanations. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Anonymous

You are caught btwn a rock and a hard place. You are neither ATS® nor ITS because you have allowed the lines to be blurred.I would say that your category is a general "tribal", unless you want to choose a style and stick with it.Good luck!

Anonymous

Some groups call their style SGI – Synchronized Group Improv. Why not just call it Tribal Improv?

Anonymous

Is SGI not specific to Black Sheep then?

Anonymous

Thank you for your responses. I feel I have to clarify one point – we never were ITS group. That is strictly Unmata style and we never did that. In fact, our first style was derived from Old School moves as out teacher studied with you, Carolena. I reared the post about the Old School vs. New Style ATS® and it seems to me it´s ok to still define yourself as ATS® even if you´re using steps that are not officially on the list. However, they have to be derived from the original steps. Do I understand it correctly? I don´t think that the lines of our style are blurred. In fact, it´s getting more and more pure since we did choose one style. What´s different is only those few steps . (And just to make it clear, right now I would never call ourselves ATS® on festivals where there may be dancers who do 100% ATS® performances. Out of respect  :))

Anonymous

I don't believe “ITS” is strictly Unmata – “ITS” simply stands for Improvisational Tribal Style, and it's a more general term. Unmata's improv style is referred to as “Hot Pot ITS.”

Anonymous

I don't believe "ITS" is strictly Unmata - "ITS" simply stands for Improvisational Tribal Style, and it's a more general term. Unmata's improv style is referred to as "Hot Pot ITS."

That's my understanding too. As Hot Pot has become more popular I guess it is being associated more with the term ITS, but Amy Sigil doesn't claim exclusive use of it.

Anonymous

I also believe ITS is the general name, not specific to any one group. 

Anonymous

I don't believe "ITS" is strictly Unmata - "ITS" simply stands for Improvisational Tribal Style, and it's a more general term. Unmata's improv style is referred to as "Hot Pot ITS."

That is my understanding as well... also I remember hearing in a workshop with Urban Gypsy that in parts of Europe ITS stands for International Tribal Style.

Anonymous

What about tribal group improv?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘ATS®’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.