Need a refresher on proprioceptors in relation to ATS moves

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Janet Hanseth Janet Hanseth 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Janet Hanseth
    Janet Hanseth
    Keymaster

Originally posted by Leslie Jean-Jellybean aka: Miss Boo on tribe.net.Hey all...br/br/Can someone refresh my memory on the proprioceptors discussion we all (I think all?) had in GS? It was in relation to the layback ... and some other moves (I think?) ... can someone remind me which and how/why?br/br/Thanks!!

Anonymous

Originally posted by Carrie on tribe.net.Hey love,br/br/The proprioceptors come into play in everything (and I mean everything) that we do. The proprioceptors act as what is commonly known as "muscle memory". You can think of them as little light bulbs at your nerve endings. When the brain tells the body to do something over and over and over again your proprioceptors remember the pattern caused by repetition. The best example is walking up a flight of stairs. We tend to look at the first step and then can walk the flight without looking down again. Our props are from there confident that 99% of staircases are built the same. Its also why you can walk around your house in the dark and not run into anything. Its why if you sit on a chair that is lower than most chairs you kind of fall into it. Youve sat down in chairs of normal height so much of your life that a chair of a odd height will throw you off. br/br/For instance, I bet you could make a grocery list in your head while doing egyptian basic. Youve done it so much that your brain tells your body to do it, your body does it, and then you can pretty much tune out and think about other things while still doing the egyptian basic. You dont have to consciously think about right hip swivel, right back contraction, zill zill zill, etc.br/br/So, the concept applies to all movement/s. Does that help at all? Its the same with the layback as anything else. Except that the layback is especially special because your brain (which acts purely in self-preservation) doesnt like thinking that its going to get dropped. Your body is bending in an unnatural way. Once you do it over and over again, your proprioceptors learn the pattern, and your brain will then start to trust you.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Jennifer on tribe.net.This is how I understand it, too, Carrie.br/br/I think the two main examples that Carolena brings up at GS are the layback (as Carrie said - dont drop the brain!) and the circle step. Circle step feels weird because your body likes to move in oppositions (right arm swings forward as left leg walks forward), and the circle step turn is a parallelism. The circle step feels weird because of that, and you have to do it 200 times for the proprioceptors to learn the muscle memory and realize "ohhhh, shes not going to fall over" and then it feels natural. Circle step is the main time that I bring up proprioceptors in class.

Anonymous

Originally posted by rhiannyn on tribe.net.i find it even more so with the Torso Twist [Rotation] when you turn it... i think its the most awkward move of them all. and an even more heightened parallelism, therefore, must do it more so i will learn to like it, cuz right now me n my body dont, so much 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.