New Troupe Members

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

After we get back from Cues & Tattoos, we are looking to add 1 or more troupe members from my Level 4 students.  I've got the age old problem where a couple students who are less “experienced” (amount of time they've been learning from me) are more ready for troupe than those who have been taking classes longer.  I know, and you know, that it's not about how many years you've been dancing, but when you are ready.  Does anyone have some very PC wording and advice about how to break the news to the dancers who won't make troupe but have been dancing longer?   

Anonymous

Boy, oh boy, do I hear you on this one. Best I can think of is to be honest. If they aren't there yet, tell them so. That they didn't get invited now is not saying they will never get invited. Just not now. And tell them that time in does not guarantee anything. Skill and charisma (I wanted to say "getalongability" but that isn't a word.  😉  )I have this issue with one of my students. She asked me point blank about joining the troupe, and I point blank answered back with the truth: We had discussed her and the decision was she was not quite there yet. I didn't offer anything more than she asked, but I would have been more specific if she had. Yes, you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but you also have to determine what kind of standard you are going to set.

Anonymous

Thanks responding Rob!!!It is such a delicate issue.  I did, a couple of years ago, have a student who was pressuring me to get into the troupe.  She wrote me an email and gave me an ultimatum..either she was accepted into the troupe or she quits ATS®.  Well, hmmm.. yeah... I've been a firm believer in FC's method of auditioning every day you enter the studio.  But have you held or does anyone hold auditions?  Or publish expectations?  Our troupe started out as a strong 5 and very quickly became 8, five years ago.  Since then, we've lost three members.  Now we're back to 5 and have been for a couple years.  It's hard to introduce a new personality or several, but we're ready. 

Anonymous

Rob's answer is correct. I might also add that you can gently mention that being able to utilize constructive criticism is a key element for advancement. Meaning, don't whine when I give you direction, just thank me for my attention and show me that you are really serious.

Anonymous

I need to frame these nuggets of wisdom and hang them in the studio……

Anonymous

Carrie, Shades Of Araby have only added one new member so far. And she didn't have to audition. She was just... right. She fit with us because of her positive attitude. To me it was her dedication to ATS and my class that sold me. Karina is a writer. She mentioned that she was going out of town to get some peace and quiet to do her writing. My face fell because she was a regular and good student. So I said "So we'll see you in the fall session then?" She looked at me quizzically and then said "No... you'll see me next week as usual. My intention is to drive back for class every week on Monday night. " My jaw dropped. For those of you in the Bay area, it would be like driving from Monterey to SF once a week. But she did it. And I could tell she was practicing at home because she came back to class with specific questions. THAT kind of thing sold me. 🙂Her skill was near to what I wanted and we were going to train her. Instead we threw her in the deep end of summer performances and improved her that way.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.