Performance Commitments

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

So how do you handle situations when your troupe is asked to perform at an event.  You check with your troupe members.  Every single on of them says, yes, they can commit to the event.  And then as the date draws closer almost of all them then duck out and say they cannot do it now?  It seems like they are all gun-ho on the initial request and then change their minds as we get closer.  I feel it's terribly unprofessional but I'm wondering if I am being too harsh.  How do you or would you handle these situations?  Thanks.

Anonymous

How many are in your troupe?I would say that, if there are enough of you left to do the gig... then fine.... but when it becomes a chronic thing... maybe tell them that you require a commitment and that they need to make sure 100% that they are available before committing. I mean, shit happens sometimes, I get that if it's an emergency.... but if they're busy with life, they shouldn't agree to take anything extra on.

Anonymous

I have 7 in the troupe.  Lately all 7 will say yes and then it ends up being 3.  The last gig we did they were asking for 4 but I couldn't get 4.  It's starting to rub me wrong.  My thoughts are that perhaps the advanced troupe is not for everyone currently in it, so maybe some of the chronic call-outters should be performing with the student troupe instead – when they are willing to commit and keep the commitment I should say.  But I'm not sure if that is too dramatic.  However it's super hard to manage the bookings like this and I feel it compromises our professionalism.

Anonymous

Wow. That is unacceptable and unprofessional. I'm so sorry. A conversation is definitely in order and justified.

Anonymous

We have a minimum percentage of performances required to continue being in the troupe.  We also have an expectation that you don't cancel unless it is a true emergency.  Finally, those who show up the most, get the most benefits.  We also have an attendance policy.  Ultimately if dancers can't comply, they aren't in the troupe.

Anonymous

In a troupe I'm in, the director has 2 mandatory practices before each performance. If you miss either practice, you are automatically out. Something like that might be a good commitment-testing system for you, Raven. If peeps get themselves to two practices, they are not likely to flake on the performance unless it's a true emergency.

Anonymous

I do have an attendance policy.  But it doesn't seem to stop some of them from canceling on committed shows.  sigh.  I have been thinking that perhaps a change in lineup is due but I was wondering if that would be too harsh, but it sounds like it's about right.  Thanks, ladies.

Anonymous

Maybe you'll have to go with a flake-and-you're-out policy. Flake twice and you're out of the troupe for the next 3 gigs or some such.

Anonymous

I can't stand that sort of behavior.  Short of illness, death or disaster, if you commit to doing a gig, you do it or find a replacement/fill the void you're creating.  Actually, if you say you're going to do anything, just do it.  Write it down in your calendar and plan for it.  It's not hard.Generally, my thought is, if you want to be a professional troupe, you make a distinction of how you want that to look.  Map out the guidelines for professional behavior and stick with it.  Commitment levels wax and wane in students, but once you commit to a troupe, that becomes first priority over a lot of other things.  If you don't treat the troupe with respect you won't get respect in return.  But this is coming from someone who has been committed since my late 20's through 30's and now in my 40's.  It's a part of life.

Anonymous

Hearing you loud and clear on this one. Struggling with the same thing, and variations of it.Thank you to the more experienced dancers who have chimed in here. Food for thought.Cuz man, it is frustrating.  I just turned down an event based on recent behaviour/attitude/practice/class attendance, as well as a couple of other factors, but I'm sick of saying we'll be there, and it ends up being the usual 2 of us. Anyway, will give this more consideration as to how to sort it out.Thanks for bringing this up, Raven!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.