Planning Classes in Advance

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hey guys!Question for you!  When you teach classes on a regular basis, do you plan them several weeks in advance?  Or just week by week?  I find it easier to plan for the Level 1 and 2 but I find it challenging to pre plan for a Level 3 or performance/troupe class.Any suggestions?Thanks!Amy

Anonymous

Hi AmyVeronica,I do plan ahead, which is made much simpler by the fabulous gals at FCBD®.  For level 1 and 2, I typically follow their format.  For level 3/troupe, I usually don't think about it until my long commute home and then I formulate some idea in the back of my head and am open to modifying if that's what seems to be happening.  We did dueling duets this week.  Sometimes we're practicing a performance set, cafe style, sometimes we just put on a set and dance.I do like to have something planned ahead of time, even if we abandoned that plan.  I think our students/troupemates really look to us for guidance.

Anonymous

Thanks Leslie!And oh!  Dueling duets!  That's something else we have to work on!

Anonymous

I definitely plan classes in advance.  I teach at a college in my other life, so lesson planning is an important element to me.  I also can tell when I'm in a dance class where there is a lesson plan – it feels solid and strong.  I teach at Parks & Recreation, so students sign up for a course with several sessions, anywhere from 4 to 14 weeks.  I have newbies in beginning all the time and I stick to the FCBD format, adding in weeks beyond the Beginning 6-week depending on the length of my course.  My intermediates, however, have been with me for a while, so i'm always having to come up with things for them.  I invented a shimmy drill a few weeks ago just to keep them on their toes, and we do a lot of little exercises and drills amid introducing and refining steps.  So yes, plan-plan-plan makes for a great teaching and learning experience.

Anonymous

I plan in advance but stay flexible for what the class seems to need at that time.  For example, if I have 3 moves planned, but the class is having a hard time with them, then I might will limit my instruction to 2 moves. I also may vary according to energy of participants, mood, and skill level. 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.