Propeller/Corkscrew turns in trio

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I just got a question from a student regarding the propeller and corkscrew turn in the trio… when we're doing that step facing each other, we can do it in place… but I was wondering if we can also move with it, and how would that work? do we move along the circle with the same two turns we would do in a duet passing? (like the barrel turn does, although in the opposite direction)… or could we even use the trio passing?I'm not even sure if it's something that is actually done, or if it would be dialect... have you guys played with these steps like this, or any other way? 😀

Anonymous

We've done the Propellor Turn while turning the wheel.  We walk during the arm set up and then turn in place.  We haven't used these moves in passing.  I imagine in duet it would be relatively easy to face each other and pass during the arm setup.  I think if you were to pass during the turn you would want a cue or to discuss beforehand so your partner can anticipate the pass with the turn. 

Anonymous

We have played in time, yes, so much that it would be way too long to tell you about all the ways! But here there are some example of us having fun:Corkscrew fade: turn the head to the left when the arms are both out, and use the turns to travel. One would think is hard to catch, but we don't seem  to have a problem with it, and apply the same cue to the Wrap Around to fade it. Propeller partner pass: after the setting with right and left arms, in that moment in which you look at the leader to see if is gonna be a C. or a P., you lower the right arm in front of you, and floreo. When you do the little accent with the wrist you also point the right hip to your partner and use the turn to travel past her. A Pivot looks great after it.Corkscrew "march forward" (in a stagger formation, a flock or giant V formation, in a line) you walk forward, mantaining of course the head on the same level, as you do the right and left arm. You stop when you bring the arms out, and you travel forward with the turns. Corkscrew "to the Center": (it's a way to bring dancers in the centre of a large formation. We use other moves to get "to the Center", but I'm rambling already...back to the Corkscrew!)We could be about a dozen dancers in a circle formation and start a song as the whole group. We would know, having discussed it, that when a Corkscrew starts, it's going to be "to the Center". We'd walk clockwise with the arms setting, we would stop when  the arms come down together, and three dancers that are going to form the main group will travel with the turns to the center. They get in a smaller circle (my favourite) or, with a bit more effort, in stagger, while all the other use the turns to get in a chorus formation, or, the others stay in place for the turns and then open up with Arm Sweeps, or they might use the turns to travel away from the center and so on...

Anonymous

I've done like Raven said, turning the wheel. Traveling during the set up with the arms, then stopping for the turn. I've also done it in a fade: main lead cues the first part of set up floreos to the right, fades when the arms come up, fade lead finishes the set up floreos to the left then cues either propeller/corkscrew.

Anonymous

We occasionally do a variation of the Propellor Turn with two turns, of which I can't remember where I originally picked it up, but we love it so much … :-[The cue for this variation is to keep on walking along the perimeter of the circle while you lower your right arm for the second time. If we want to do a single turn on the spot, we stop walking at that point.  8)

Anonymous

We do P and C walking in a circle with two turns turning the wheel. I think, it`s from Gabriella from Neas Tribal. So much fun !Erika, I love your creations!  8)

Anonymous

Al-hambra Tribal Dance has our own internal cue for moving the Corkscrew – we don't use it with anyone else we dance with because we know it would confuse others.  It sounds similar to those listed above – great minds think alike!  When facing inward, if we want to cue traveling, we'll cue it as the two arms lower by turning the head to the right just like in the Arabic Hip Twist Flourish.  As the arms raise, the head centers againd, and as the arms begin their plunge downward, we travel to the left making two turns and finishing with arms raising overhead.We also fade this.  We'll start with the standard cue for Corkscrew, and as the two arms lower, if we want to cue the fade, the head will turn to the right, then center again on the arm raise.  We've kept the right-side head cue to keep with the logic of the Arabic Hip Twist and Double Back.We also use the right head turn to cue similar traveling with the Wrap turn - again, head turn to the right, and always on the first cue of the Wrap as the R arm sweeps out and floreos to the front.  We'll either travel with this in a circle, or passing, or fade it.Haven't tried this with Propeller since our Propeller is one of the ways we use to go to the floor, and we don't want to add too many potential cues to this move.

Anonymous

LeighAnneS, yes, looks like we came to pretty similar thoughts!  🙂It was interesting to hear how you came to the right-side head turn. Our choice went to a left-sided cue because it felt natural to turn he head in the direction in which we are about to turn to.

Anonymous

We also move with the arm section and perform the turn in place.

Anonymous

... our Propeller is one of the ways we use to go to the floor, and we don't want to add too many potential cues to this move.

Would you please elaborate / break down how you do floorwork with the Propeller? Thanks!

Anonymous

... our Propeller is one of the ways we use to go to the floor, and we don't want to add too many potential cues to this move.

Would you please elaborate / break down how you do floorwork with the Propeller? Thanks!

Do you have the floorwork DVD? It's broken down really clearly on that!You do the Propeller turn set up, cue the turn with the subtle wrist inflection, perform the turn and use the momentum from that spiral to take you into a lunge to the floor. Going down in a lunge (i.e in a diagonal line towards the floor rather than straight down) is more controlled and easier!

Anonymous

Thanks Alicia!  😀 I will try to get that DVD, then. Still, you explained it very clearly. Cheers!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Technique’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.